Frozen tire ballast options

/ Frozen tire ballast options #11  
Auto parts stores sell concentrate for mixing your own WWF might ask there.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #12  
Auto anti freeze will be fine. even a 25% mix will just make slush and not freeze solid.the

Using auto anti-freeze in tractor tires is a VERY bad idea!
It is highly TOXIC, and animals are ATTRACTED to it's sweet taste.
If you have a flat, you will likely also need to bury some animals.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #13  
You can also use RV antifreeze - totally non toxic and good with rubber and plastic.

/ Frozen tire ballast options
Thanks for all the replies, I actually picked up some rainx WWF concentration booster which appears to be mostly methanol. It claims to lower the freeze point even more. I was close to trying some of gas de water stuff called Heet, But the contents were vague. Should I attempt to add the stuff today or wait till it warms to the low 40's tomorrow?

Matt

/ Frozen tire ballast options #15  
Thanks for all the replies, I actually picked up some rainx WWF concentration booster which appears to be mostly methanol. It claims to lower the freeze point even more. I was close to trying some of gas de water stuff called Heet, But the contents were vague. Should I attempt to add the stuff today or wait till it warms to the low 40's tomorrow?

Matt

Does not matter when you add it, when the ice thaws it will mix in.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #16  
The problem is the ice frozen in the tire. Rolling the tire with ice inside could and very likely will damage the inside of the tire. You need to find some way to melt the ice with either a bullet heater or perhaps by adding hot water to the tire if possible. Once the ice is melted, you can add whatever you want to make it freeze proof from now on.

P.S. 40 F isn't going to melt ice very fast but if you have sunshine on the tire it will surely speed things up.

I understand this isn't going to be a fast thawing process, we're still getting below freezing at night.
I'll see if I can get the WWF in and hopefully it'll thaw out before too long.

Matt

/ Frozen tire ballast options #18  
It's only one more day, I would wait til it's 40 just for my own comfort

True but had the day off work today lol. After felling a large red oak I decided to wait until it warms up a bit to monkey with the fluid.

Matt

/ Frozen tire ballast options #20  
Using auto anti-freeze in tractor tires is a VERY bad idea!
It is highly TOXIC, and animals are ATTRACTED to it's sweet taste.
If you have a flat, you will likely also need to bury some animals.

Yup! I've got some animals around here I wouldn't mind seeing dead. And I can't remember the last flat I had that didn't have a good rain follow behind.
No one said to leave the stuff in the tire.

Safety cops piss me off!