Frozen tire ballast options

/ Frozen tire ballast options #21  
Thanks for all the replies, I actually picked up some rainx WWF concentration booster which appears to be mostly methanol. It claims to lower the freeze point even more. I was close to trying some of gas de water stuff called Heet, But the contents were vague. Should I attempt to add the stuff today or wait till it warms to the low 40's tomorrow?

Matt
I have been lead to believe that actually adding pure methanol is a dangerous process.
I assume, that is because methanol is highly flammable.
Is there any sort of warning label on the RainEx WWF concentration booster ("mostly methanol")?
How will you know how much "concentration booster" to add for a specific level of temperature protection?

/ Frozen tire ballast options #22  
I have been lead to believe that actually adding pure methanol is a dangerous process.
Is there any sort of warning label on the RainEx WWF concentration booster ("mostly methanol")?
How will you know how much "concentration booster" to add for a specific level of temperature protection?

Recognize that the purpose of this is to get rid of the ice problem temporarily. Matt plans to drain the tires when he has time. Deere 110tlb's should not have filled tires for backhoe use. The ice he is dealing with is what would not drain out.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #23  
Using auto anti-freeze in tractor tires is a VERY bad idea! It is highly TOXIC, and animals are ATTRACTED to it's sweet taste. If you have a flat, you will likely also need to bury some animals.
What about the radiator. It's okay to use antifreeze in it, but not the tires? :confused:. I recently had to replace a water pump on a tractor. The entire contents of the radiator was spilled. I guess I killed off the wildlife population. I think not. And he is only making a 25 percent or less mix. Something is going to have to drink quite a bit of that to consume a fatal dose.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #24  
∆ this............

/ Frozen tire ballast options #25  

Methanol is not dangerous to work with. It's a solvent and alcohol so you don't use it around open flames and you don't drink it. Other than that it's no harder to work with than WWF. We spray millions of gallons of the stuff on our highways every year (as WWF). It is rapidly inactivated in the soil and creates no hazard to wildlife. The only things that can go wrong are lighting it on fire (it will burn just like brandy) and drinking it. Don't do that. It will cause blindness. Otherwise don't sweat it.

/ Frozen tire ballast options #26  
Yup! I've got some animals around here I wouldn't mind seeing dead. And I can't remember the last flat I had that didn't have a good rain follow behind.
No one said to leave the stuff in the tire.

Safety cops piss me off!

Household pets are usually the ones who die from the ignorance of those using toxic coolant/antifreeze; when other non toxic versions are available. Radiators need the chemicals to reduce corrosion, cavitation, etc., and to protect cylinder liners and aluminum water pump parts.

You'd like to see dead animals where you live, knock yourself out, I'm sure you can figure out some way to kill them. Meantime- Lighten up Francis! :rolleyes: sometimes people just want to warn others of the dangers of doing some things. There's no harm in that.

Oh yeah, and rain follows flats? In what world is that a fact?:confused2::confused3:

/ Frozen tire ballast options
Recognize that the purpose of this is to get rid of the ice problem temporarily. Matt plans to drain the tires when he has time. Deere 110tlb's should not have filled tires for backhoe use. The ice he is dealing with is what would not drain out.

As Steve said this sums up the situation perfectly. I have no desire to have ballast in the tires and it's not recommend by Deere.
I thought I had removed the bulk of it last year but we've had sub zero temps for the last few days. I likely should have used a vacuum pump the last go round but I figured it wouldn't be an issue. Well I was wrong and need to do something reactive to the ice blocks now in the tire. I have no interest in putting anything harmful to animals as a resolution to the ice. The WWF booster will be pumped out and disposed of properly.

Matt