Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
It had been around minus 22 C over night. I plugged in the tractor (JD 6200) for around an hour and a half late in the afternoon. It was around minus 10 C all day.

The engine turned over and made a lot of smoke but never fired. It did start to kind of run on it's own with just a little help from the starter motor. It would run for a few seconds after releasing the starter motor.

I have started this tractor under similar cold conditions but you always heard the crack of the detonation. Not this time, although something was clearly causing it to sort of run.

I killed the battery, put a charger on for a few minutes and tried again. Same thing. But then, all of a sudden, she came to life and started.

(Sorry, I have to compose these things a bit at a time, as text just disappears on occassion.)

Anyway, I am just curious what was happening as I have never had a diesel crank so quickly as if half running. Is this possibly harmfull? I did not want to overheat the starter, but then it wasn't under much load.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #3  
Possibly fuel was beginning to gel.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start.
The tractor ran without a hickup once it started, so I don't suspect fuel. It's almost like it didn't have full compression.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #5  
---------------------------

Anyway, I am just curious what was happening as I have never had a diesel crank so quickly as if half running. Is this possibly harmfull? I did not want to overheat the starter, but then it wasn't under much load.

It means it is not getting enough fuel.

I know the half running sound trying to start, from after running out of fuel, then not getting all the air bled out.

Didn't hurt the starter because it wasn't drawing maximum amps.

Finally learned to fill the tank before I started mowing, no matter what the fuel gauge said. :D

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #6  
After sitting that length of time at that temp. being plugged in 3 or 4 hrs. would be much more effective. -22 that block is real cold I set my timer to come on 3hrs. before I get up in the morning because I found when it's that cold all my diesels start like summer any less and they have to turn over a few extra times to start.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start.
I built a simple timer/motor cam driven switch box. It has two positions. Ten minutes on, twenty off, or the other way around. I use it, just to keep a diesel on standby, during a storm or something like that. A block heater left on is just too much heat and electricity for what is required.

In this case, I just didn't imagine I would have a problem.

Can unburned (cold) fuel keep valves slightly open?

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #8  
All I can add is, if your referring to last weekend past, it was darn cold and many "cars" didn't start, so don't feel bad. In cold temps like this, its best ( if possible) to just leave the machine sit it out, having said that, when its extremely cold, a trickle charger ( to keep the battery up to par ) and keep it plugged in for at least 5-6 hours before starting, I also use a battery warmer blanket around my battery. Fuel conditioner is a must also. From what you said, it does sound like your fuel was "gelling" yes it will seem to run fine but don't go too far or you'll be stranded with a "weak almost dead" machine.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #9  
Had to move the boat the other day; out of 5 vehicles 3 failed to start/needed a jump/had to pull the cover to get the sun on the block. A Ford gasser running 5w-20 started, and the 12l Scania started (thanks to the stove running on the boat). A Nissan and Audi running 5w-30 failed to start/needed a jump, and a Yamaha outboard running 10w-40 needed time in the water, the cover pulled and sun on the internals for 20 minutes to start.
Gasoline doesn't gel at -5 F, but its that much further from flash point/ignition, especially in a chilled block with viscous oil. Add a battery at less than 100% and its quite a challenge. Nothing likes to run below zero, and I'm no exception!
I wouldn't sweat the JD running funny until it got a little warmer. It was cold last week!
*Every vehicle was ice-cold and without block heater. I know with proper preheating and an oil selection in line with conditions there's no problems--its just when conditions are outside typical, you sometimes get surprised.

/ Strange JD 4 cyl Diesel Cold Start. #10  
When it gets abnormally cold I try to enjoy the fireplace. If I know I must go somewhere I will plug in the block heaters for several hours in advance. Back in 2010 we had -32 degrees F, I did not try to start anything but did move a Honda genset inside to keep it warm enough to start. Living about 120 miles above the Mexican border this was unusually cold. My tractors were all parked and I let them be, no sense in damaging them.