First oil change

/ First oil change #1  

Lowcountry17

Tractor
JD 5065E
I've had my JD5065E for a little over a year. I've put 80hrs on it, and I'd say it's been pretty light use (discing food plots, bushhogging, maintaining firebreaks). I'm thinking I should go back with the "break-in" oil for the next 100 hours or so. Thoughts?

/ First oil change #2  
What does the manual say ? If this is a new tractor then go by what the manual says on the first oil change. I would just drain the oil and replace with what is recommended. New oil filter as well...be sure to fill oil filter with new oil, as this helps prime the crankcase on start up quicker !

/ First oil change #3  
On most tractors the break in period is the first 50 hours. Since you're already at 80, change the oil and filter now and do whatever other service your owners manual called for whether it was supposed to be at 50 or 100 hours. I see no need to refill with more break in oil. A good quality diesel oil of the correct viscosity listed in the owners manual will be fine. Some manuals also call for the hydraulic filter to be changed during the break in period.

/ First oil change #4  
The concept of "break in" oil is an old one that stems from when machining processes weren't nearly as refined as they are today. If the manufacturer does use a different oil for the initial break in, you don't have to worry about it at the first oil change. If you asked they probably wouldn't even tell you what they use for break in, and it would likely be something you can't buy by the quart or gallon. These aren't Formula 1 engines we're talking about...put a quality diesel oil of the specified weight in it, replace the filter, and forget about it.

Also, some folks think brush hogging is easy work....not really. It loads the engine pretty well, and subjects the driveline to a fair amount of shock.

/ First oil change #5  
"The concept of "break in" oil is an old one that stems from when machining processes weren't nearly as refined as they are today."

Seems like I read one time that in the old days there would be sand and such left over, from the casting process, and there would be some of that mess left inside when they finished. I think tolerances were much looser back in the old days then they are now.