Whoops!

/ Whoops! #1  

12Bravo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB, Gill 5' Scraper Blade (Tilt/Angle)
Well it official, I suck at using a scraper blade. I think I did more damage than good on the driveway....:eek:

On my driveway the right side while going up the hill is high and keep the water flowing down the driveway, so I figured I would try to cut it down. It worked some, but not like I was thinking it would work out.

What I need to do is rip the whole driveway out and just start over with french drains and culverts and be done with it. But while I wait to afford that, I guess I will just practice and keep messing then fixing and then messing up the driveway. It can't get any muddier than it already is, so oh well......Just a little rant....:confused3:

/ Whoops! #2  
Unfortunately what your doing is probably one of the best things you can do. Practice makes perfect. Don't be afrade to experiment with changing the position of your blade with the 3pt hitch. Sometimes trial and error works best.

/ Whoops!
Here, I just took some photos for you all to see and maybe give some pointers on what my best option is. I can't put in culverts right now and can't do french drains right now, so sloping the driveway and cutting across it is all I can do for now.

This area washed out and is soft. I think water is running under gravel and on top of the clay layer. There is a spot that looks like a spring, water just bubbles out from the middle of the driveway on this slope. Which is the steepest part of the driveway, I literally have to use 4x4 to back up this section or get a running start to make it in the wife's car, picture doesn't do the slope justice.

Drive that goes to neighbors which has a lot of run off and can't seem to get it figured out.

/ Whoops! #5  
If you think that is a mess you should have seen me building a driveway. A wimpy tractor can make a mess. A 18,000 pound dozer with a terrible operator ( me ) can make a way bigger mess.

/ Whoops! #6  
Maybe it's just me but it looks like your driveway is really low to begin with. Maybe you'd be better off cutting some ditches and building up the driveway with some crushed stone or gravel.

/ Whoops! #7  
Also, a landscape rake would work great for getting the larger rocks and debris out of the gravel before you finish grade.

/ Whoops!
Also, a landscape rake would work great for getting the larger rocks and debris out of the gravel before you finish grade.

If you look at the side of the driveway, there are several piles of rocks. I have used the backhoe to pull them out and then bucket to try and fill holes back in. I spent most of an afternoon pulling rocks, I have most of them but as I scrape I find more and just pull em out as I go. I'm limited in what attachments I have, can't get anymore right now.

/ Whoops! #9  
Seriously -- you need to bring in gravel and raise the driveway up, then crown it in the middle. Your options are limited right now and I think it could only make things worse working that ground.

/ Whoops! #10  
If you look at the side of the driveway, there are several piles of rocks. I have used the backhoe to pull them out and then bucket to try and fill holes back in. I spent most of an afternoon pulling rocks, I have most of them but as I scrape I find more and just pull em out as I go. I'm limited in what attachments I have, can't get anymore right now.

Yea being limited on implements or funds can make it tough. I usually leave any rocks 3 inches or smaller but bigger ones like you said are best to pull out. Nice thing for you though is you can dig out the low areas with the back hoe and refill with the larger rocks. I still say your best bet is to angle your blade and cut some ditches along either side of the driveway and use whatever gravel you get from the ditches to build up the middle of the road surface. Then you can gradually taper off the road back to the ditches to create a crown in the driveway. Even a low driveway can be well kept and maintained with proper drainage.