Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps
Ah. I misunderstood, you're most interested in being notified via phone, which WOULD be handy.

No apologies needed.

But ya. Maybe a weekly email summary with a list of "past due" stuff.
Check it off as done, enter a mileage, and its set.
Maybe a drop-down of maintenance items, so I can say that I lubed the door hinges, even though I'm a month ahead of my "April & October" schedule.

Like I said, I mostly have the functionality in my head, but not sure it exists.

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #13  
This is probably not what you want to hear. "Spiral notebook", with a page for each piece of equipment. Log maintenance, reminder page on the front with dates, mileage and piece of equipment. Permanent record. Keep it in the house. History always available. Not lost when you drop your phone in the toilet. Does not rely on the cloud. Requires no electricity. Take a picture and email to yourself. Use your Outlook to send you a reminder to check your notebook monthly. Might even use a real paper calendar :thumbsup:

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #14  
I have just kept an excel spreadsheet for years. I combine that with the tried and true reminder in the top left corner of my windshield.

On the the spreadsheet I have a separate worksheet for each vehicle or machine with the tab at bottom named appropriately.

On the vehicle reminder I periodically glance at the odometer and compare it to the odometer label on the windshield.

Last edited:
   / Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #15  
On equipment I write either the hours (if equipped with meter) or the date of service on it with a black marker or grease pencil, when it comes time for the next service, I wipe it off with brake cleaner or mineral spirits.
On cars I know that I change oil/rotate tires 7500 miles. I also tear off the top of the ac delco oil filter box and write the mileage of next oil change so wife knows. Things like transmission fluid get wrote in back of owners manual.

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #16  
I use the kids' old chalkboard. All equipment listed with date, oil/filter, air cleaner, plugs, etc. When time to erase, transfer it to a notebook hanging on a string nearby.

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #17  
Your post got me thinking so I did a search and came up with a few. I guess what's best for you depends on whether you have IOS or Android.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-minder-plus-car-maintenance/id310809791?mt=8

This looks pretty good if you're an apple guy.

http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/best-apps-car-maintenance

Here's a site with a ton of Android apps. I just don'y have time to check them all out right now.
Well what are we paying you for ?:)

This is probably not what you want to hear. "Spiral notebook", with a page for each piece of equipment. Log maintenance, reminder page on the front with dates, mileage and piece of equipment. Permanent record. Keep it in the house. History always available. Not lost when you drop your phone in the toilet. Does not rely on the cloud. Requires no electricity. Take a picture and email to yourself. Use your Outlook to send you a reminder to check your notebook monthly. Might even use a real paper calendar :thumbsup:
Spiral notebook in each vehicle, all important "stuff" wrote down. "Bad bathrooms at exit 84" "Best diesel on 72" oil changes, lubes, parts etc.
I've been carrying a personal computer since about 1995, started with a radio shack TRS-80 Model 100, quickly graduated to an HP 95. A computer is like a woman, love the one your with. My collection of notes on HP95's, PDA's, tablets, and now Android phones are great FOR ME. But not good for many other people.

I show my favorite mechanic my notes on when stuff got changed on my dually and he understands a spiral notebook. He "don't know" email. And if you need to leave a note for someone you can leave a piece of paper. You need to draw someone a map, do it on paper.

There's a lot I can do with a "pocket computer". I was running Unix mapping computers fielded in Tuzla, BH using an HP100 from a hotel room in Lititz, Pennsylvania in 1997. But I still record my fuel, oil, and mileage for every vehicle in a spiral notebook.

Pen and paper still have their place.

/ Somewhat On-Topic - Vehicle (Tractor) Maintenance Apps #18  
Like the notebook. I was writing oil changes on the wall of the garage between the studs. That fills up after awhile lol

Well, thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'm not surprised how many notebooks/pens are involved.
This is obviously a "whatever works" kind of item.
I'll experiment for myself and see what I can find that works better than my current non-system.

I was writing oil changes on the wall of the garage between the studs. That fills up after awhile lol

need a bigger garage, obviously...