Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods?

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Working at clearing wind falls today while feeding a burn pile. I heard three tree knocks today. At 5:00 PM, in broad daylight, I realized my $400.00 Stihl chainsaw and mickey mouse ears were missing. I had taken a five minute break and left them 50 feet behind where I was sitting and now they are gone. I'm in working middle of nowhere on a private tract of land. I could hear and pay attention to the red squirrel running around through trees 150 feet away, but I didn't hear anybody hauling off with a 10 pound chainsaw and my mickey mouse ears. I walked the 1.5 mile perimeter of my property and saw no people tracks in the snow in or out, yet a $400 saw has gone missing under my very eyes. WTH? Anybody have a better ghost story?

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #2  
Well thats a bummer. I lost a 12 ft G80 chain earlier last fall. we looked for 30 minutes retracing our tracks. with no luck. thankfully it was not a $400 saw. I went back a week later and still no luck finding it. we try to make sure they stay in the bucket when we are not hauling wood with them

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #3  
What does hearing three tree knocks mean?
Are you sure they're not where you left them? I sure hope somebody didn't walk off with them, that just make you mad at mankind.

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #4  
I've misplaced a treestand for a few minutes but always eventually found it. It's crazy how well things can blend in just sitting on the ground in the woods. Not to mention in large stands of trees things can look the same. Are you sure you were in the right place? Maybe try to follow your tracks everywhere you went. Hopefully you still have some snow on the ground although it doesn't look like too much. Or maybe that red squirrel wanted to make himself a little nicer house.

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #6  
I lost my cell phone in my woods. Unfortunately it was on vibrate. Found it about a week later in the leaves by pure luck. I had it narrowed down to a 5 acre area but figured I was SOL! Eric you must have some really strong squirrels to have carried your chainsaw away.

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods?
Well thats a bummer. I lost a 12 ft G80 chain earlier last fall. we looked for 30 minutes retracing our tracks. with no luck. thankfully it was not a $400 saw. I went back a week later and still no luck finding it. we try to make sure they stay in the bucket when we are not hauling wood with them

Thing is that I know exactly where I left my saw and 3M hearing protection and then they were gone.

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #9  

/ Ever lose something mysteriously in the woods? #10  
I have had a [problem losing my log chains. Now they never get thrown in a pile - if they aren't connected to the tractor they are in the scoop.