Question for guys running businesses

/ Question for guys running businesses #1  

K3901

Tractor
Kubota L3901 4WD HST FEL
If you quote a job where you have to rent a piece of equipment do you uncharged back to the customer or charge them the same rate you pay? Same thing with materials? Just getting good and started and about to quote my first job that I'll need something I don't have and it made me curious. I was just going to charge what I have to pay but then thought I might be leaving money on the table. Thanks in advance!!

/ Question for guys running businesses #2  
Everybody I know marks up everything, at least in the construction trade. 20% is minimum.

/ Question for guys running businesses
Thanks. That was what i was thinking. And you already answered my next question lol

/ Question for guys running businesses #4  
It makes sense to mark it up a little anyways. You have to figure out what you need to rent, make the appropriate arrangements for rental and figure out pickup and return of the equipment. At the very least you need to bill for your time to do this stuff.

Agreed

/ Question for guys running businesses #6  
On rented equipment you can usually charge whatever the going hourly/daily rate is for owned equipment is in your area. On most equipment that will take care of your rental costs, fuel and leave you a decent profit. For some specialty equipment you need to adjust it upwards to keep the profit in it. Also add in a move-on (mobilization) charge since your going to pick it up and take it back. If you're having it delivered, charge whatever the rental company charges in place of the mob.

For materials, charge a 20-25% mark up.

Ok. I charge $75 an hour for me and my L3901. I'm going to be quoting a driveway install that I'll need a roller to pack it in. So just stick with my $75 an hour rate for that?

/ Question for guys running businesses #8  
Here, rental on a 3 ton costs about $350 a day if I pick it up. No half day rental available. If I can do the install and roll it in the same day, I'll charge $550 for the roller. If it's a larger job and compacting will be done the following day, I'll charge a bit more since I'm losing a day somewhere else.

/ Question for guys running businesses #9  
The mark up covers your time comparing prices, paying the bill, transportation costs, your accountant's fees, defective material, waste, etc. 25% is pretty normal.

/ Question for guys running businesses #10  
Let me add that I never charge a partial day's rate for my tractor or CTL. Full days only. The roller is added in above that rate.