Oil & Fuel Diesel jelling?

/ Diesel jelling? #1  

BigAl

Platinum Member
California , Idaho and a little island in Panama
Tractor
Kioti DK45TLB
Does anyone know at what temperature diesel will start to jell ? Do the additives for diesel fuel prevent this from happening or is some kind of a fuel heater needed in cold climate ?
I have always worked in warmer climate and this was not a issue ,but now find myself facing this problem for next winter .
Big Al

/ Diesel jelling? #2  
there are many opinions on this subject, but in my personal experenice, i have never added anything to the fuel, but i do live in western ny so the diesel u buy in the fall is winter grade, and i use my tractor all winter for plowing snow, temps down to 0 deg, and have never had a jelling problem. now if in doubt then add the additive to be safe, it don't cost that much. and i am sure some other will jump in with their thoughts.

/ Diesel jelling? #3  
BigAl . . . you just asked a TRICK question.

Has the diesel been treated by the fuel supplier before you bought it? Typically the answer is YES if the fuel was purchased in the winter months, but then that begs a follow up question, HOW WAS IT TREATED? On the other hand, if you bought diesel in quantity in late summer and are still using it through the winter, then the odds are strongly against it having been treated in any way. Consequently that fuel will JELL at a higher temperature than "winter diesel" will. I've seen diesel jell about 10 degrees above zero, and I've seen diesel not jell at temps just below zero.

/ Diesel jelling?
I'll be using and storing my tractor up in Idaho and have been told that it can get down to 20 to 30 below or more ! I assume that the fuel at the local station will be winterize but do not know for sure as this will be my first winter . I have heard some real horror stories about jelled fuel and trying to thaw out the fuel lines and fuel tank . Makes me think I might want to put a small heater in the shop to keep it above freezing .
Big Al

/ Diesel jelling? #6  
At 20 below, it will turn to goo even if it was winterized. Add an anti-gel to your fuel. In our experience (my company owns a fleet of medium size <26,000#> diesel trucks) we have not seen any problems with adding anti-gel to winterized fuel. When temps drop below 10 degrees we start to put in additives, we also plug our trucks in when the temps drop below the mid-30s. When the temps drop below zero we try to bring as many trucks into the warehouse as we can fit down the main aisle.

I would recommend you get a block heater installed on the tractor, it will be a big help when starting the tractor in cold weather.

/ Diesel jelling? #9  
I use power service (the white bottle has anti-gel in it) year round with straight #2 with no problems. Kero/#2 mix and #1 both cost more in the winter than PS + #2.

/ Diesel jelling? #10  
Hi

I live in Alaska and learned the hard way about Diesel Gelling problems this last winter. I had some summer/fall fuel left in the tank when winter hit. The temp dropped to about 15 below and all the filters gelled shut.

I found that Power Service works great. I add the recommended ounces to each tank and have had no problems. Of course, I also started using the winter blend fuel, but I think that some extra additive in the winter months is good insurance and doesn't hurt anything.

Good Luck

John