Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #1  

roygul

Tractor
Jd 2305,Antonio Carraro trx 9400, JD 10 TLB
Have a small project of putting a single layer of sandstone blocks before a steep drop, about 25 stones. It will use either of these blocks. I 'm going to dig a shallow trench 8 inches deep fill with sand for a couple to make leveling easier.

16x16x40 inches 815 lb (400x400x1000mm 370 kg)
20x20x40 1278 lb (500x500x1000mm 580 kg)

I have a jd tlb 110 with 4 in bucket and thumb on the backhoe.

I'm a little concerned if I use the 4 in one bucket to grab stone with I will damage the edges.

I have some $$ in the kitty for tools maybe a grapple bucket. I think the backhoe will lift the smaller block but will struggle with the larger ones.

My better half of course likes the bigger blocks, and I am sure if this project is a success more blocks will turn up for other projects around the property

Thanks
Roy

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #3  
I'm thinking that a good set of forklift forks on the FEL would be the way to go. Dedicated ones, not something attached to the 4in1.

Second method would be to remove the 4in1 and use strops off of the bare FEL. I say this because of the initial weight of the bucket itself.

And, of course, have the wife or a mate direct you from the ground.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #4  
I'm thinking that a good set of forklift forks on the FEL would be the way to go. Dedicated ones, not something attached to the 4in1...

I have a set of dedicated forks for my 110 TLB and have moved large rocks with no difficulty.

Just be sure you have the bed prepared and the approach set up properly for the machine and all will go easily.

While moving the smaller ones with the BH and thumb is certainly possible, it is far easier to handle undressed stones where some chips won't matter. And, carrying larger items any distance with the BH is tedious at best.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks
I do have a set of dedicated forks. Place we are looking to get them from suggests dropping them on a pile of tan bark, or loose soil to prevent damage or unload a block at a time. I don't think they use pallets and was leaning towards just buying a few yards of tan bark and tipping them on that.

Not having any experience using forks to get under a load already on the ground, I'm guessing you just slip it under the block dig into the ground a little / tan bark then curl and let the block slip to the back of the forks ?

I have to transport the blocks only a couple of hundred feet, but the ground slopes about 15 to 20 degrees between the two pads.

Will post a few pictures when I work out how I will get this done.

I kinda like the idea of a rock clamp but a little worried about having the weight swing around while trans versing the slope. I sure the clamp would make positioning the block to the final spot a lot easier.

Thanks
Roy

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #6  
Not having any experience using forks to get under a load already on the ground, I'm guessing you just slip it under the block dig into the ground a little / tan bark then curl and let the block slip to the back of the forks ?

I have to transport the blocks only a couple of hundred feet, but the ground slopes about 15 to 20 degrees between the two pads.

Thanks
Roy

I was thinking, yes, come under the block as you've said (with the forks positioned to support) and, perhaps with a 2x4 length of wood, working it up onto the front of the fork. Lift it level and then use a ratchet tie-down to secure the load.

You can then slowly, but confidently, drive the block (low to the ground) to where you want to place it and then reverse the procedure.

It will definitely be a two person job, especially for positioning the forks at first and then for positioning at the site.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #7  
I do have a set of dedicated forks. Place we are looking to get them from suggests dropping them on a pile of tan bark, or loose soil to prevent damage or unload a block at a time. I don't think they use pallets and was leaning towards just buying a few yards of tan bark and tipping them on that...

Instead of tan bark, can you have the vendor unload them on "stickers". I would ask for them to be placed on 4"x4" pieces of lumber set on firm level ground. Maybe somewhere on your driveway. The optimum placement for your forks is going to be at 25% and 75% of the width of the stone , so use 3 "stickers" one at each end and one in the middle, all of them parallel to the direction the forks will go under the stones. This way they are clear of the forks when you pick up the stones. The 4"x4" s will place them high enough to easily get the forks under the individual stones.

What is the delivery charge? I would be inclined to have only a few delivered especially in a first load to be sure I had the handling all figured out before getting 25 of them and maybe breaking or scarring several.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #8  
How about make a gantry crane but with turf tires and pulley? You could easily lift them and roll around the yard easily placing the stones where you want and safely. You could tow it with your tlb.

At 1278lb you could build one from 2x10s and it would hold. A 12v winch would lift and lower in place.

uploadfromtaptalk1458119039903.jpg

Instead of tan bark, can you have the vendor unload them on "stickers". I would ask for them to be placed on 4"x4" pieces of lumber set on firm level ground.

I think they just use a dump truck and let them slide out. placing them or getting equipment to place them is my problem.

Sandstone Blocks and Boulders | Brisbanesandstone here's the website of the blocks if it helps.

Delivery is around $500 aus.

Cheers
Roy

How about make a gantry crane but with turf tires and pulley? You could easily lift them and roll around the yard easily placing the stones where you want and safely. You could tow it with your tlb.

At 1278lb you could build one from 2x10s and it would hold. A 12v winch would lift and lower in place.

View attachment 461064

While a cool idea, the lifting of the blocks isn't too much of a problem the jd 110 can easily lift the load its grabbing the block without damaging it quickly and safely is the part I am figuring out.

Thanks Roy