Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #1  

kacole

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota mx5100
I need a little help, I just acquired an old planter and I don't what plates to use. The planter is an Allis Chambers but from what I read I can use an adapter plate and run JD-71 plates. The 71 plates seam to be available more than Allis Chambers. I'm looking to plant Sweet/ field corn, also I'm looking to plant sunflowers for a dove field. I don't know where to start. what plate # do I need for sweet/field corn and sunflowers? Can I use the same plates for all of my corn needs? I talked to Lincoln ag and they wanted the seed size. While I might be able to find out the seed size I'm going to plant this year, I might not plant the same corn every year. Is there a plate that will work good for my needs.

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #2  
Short answer is no. Plates are made for specific seed sizes. Some plates may work for more than one seed size, but you'll get skips or doubles. With the price of seed corn it would behoove you to get the correct plate. You can definitely use JD plates. Go to Lincoln Ag Products . On the bottom of the page is an illustration of cell measurements. Measure the seed you want to use and compare it to the seed plate dimensions for the cell count (16 or 24 cell) you want to plant. The seed plate cell dimensions are given for each plate. If you find a plate you need, might check eBay. Lots of them for sale there. HTH Mark

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71
Thanks for the reply How do I know if I need 16 or 24 cell?

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #4  
Depends on what kind of spacing you want and how fast you want to run with it. Let me see if I can find a chart.

That would be great

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #6  
uploadfromtaptalk1458210015369.jpg

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #7  
Nice chart, for a JD 71. Don't think it will work for an Allis planter, though. The cell count of a plate refers to in-row spacing of singulated seed. A 16 will put down fewer than a 24 with a given drive and driven gear combination. Without knowing what the gears are on the "Allis Chambers", or having a manual telling the recommended gear combo, hard to tell you what to get.

Kacole, do you have any plates at all with the planter? Here's a picture of an Allis I refurbed. Notice the gears on the wheel, and under the seed can. These are the gears that will determine how fast the plate is spinning while in operation. That will help you determine a 16 cell or 24 cell. I just bought many sets of both for it.

I've got a plate that came with the unit but I'm not sure the number on it. I'm working out of town right now but I'll be home early next week and I'll look and see what plate I have

/ Corn and Sunflower plates for JD-71 #9  
Missed it was a Allis sorry

20160323_101537.jpgI finally got back in town here is the plate that's in my planter the number is 310992 does anybody know what its for? It is a 24 cell, does that mean that it is safe to say that 24 cell would be good to go on the rest of the plates I buy? Also I need springs for the front of my planter, on the front where the unit sissors up and down, where can I get them? what size are they?