Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor...

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #21  
What happens when it get s nice scratch, dent or other cosmetic injury that although not effecting use, detracts from the value? Like people routinely smashing in the front of tractors when doing loader work. Will they pay, to make it look like new again? Or tell you "it's just a tractor"!

My Dad rented out two of our new tractors to a neighbour and our farmer. I did not like the idea, but it wasn't my money so didn't have a lot to say. I however, was the one that had to spend an hour cleaning the thing after it came back from spreading sheit!

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #22  
I loaned my tractor to what was a good "friend" for 35 years so he could bush hog his garden but he and also used it to ride over or push down Bamboo before he cut with the bush hogged it. He bent the grill, pushed the hood back, broke one of the lights out, bent the canopy, replaced the shear pin with a grade 8 bolt, and stuck something though a tire. After all of that I had to go get my tractor and when I asked what happened he said it was like that when he got it. And you guessed it we are no longer friends.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #23  
One of the best ways to ruin a friendship is loaning out an expensive piece of equipment, let alone having ownership together.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #24  
Bottom line... it is a bit of crap shoot (the friendship that is). I just don't like to knowingly put myself in an potentially uncomfortable position. It really eats at me when folks use/borrow stuff and don't seem to respect it like I do. It never comes back better than before. Folks that don't own tools/machines generally don't know how to take care of them. It is just something to get the job done. Your situation may work out just fine... as he sounds like he has experience. I'm not a gambling man. Good luck!

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #25  
Neither a borrower nor a lender be. That is my motto. period.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #26  
I don't loan equipment to neighbors or anyone else. I do favors for neighbors with my equipment and they do favors for me.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #27  
when neighbors ask to use expensive equipment, i reply, "yes, you can borrow it along with me as the operator"...simple fix. work out financial arrangement for your time/equip. would never just hand it over to him otherwise. if he's so intent, simply suggest that he rent one...sounds like he wants an easy fix from a generous neighbor as yourself. this applies to my chainsaw, etc. there are some things i'm glad to loan out...not a tractor. best regards

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #28  
Neighbors come and go, but a good tractor is priceless!!!

Never loan tools or equipment unless you get 100% cash deposit on what it will cost to get a new one the day you need it. Friends are seldom on the same page as the owner of the tool or equipment. They chose not to save up, sacrifice and do whatever it takes to aquire that tool or piece of equipment. That means it is not as important to them as it is to you!!!

If you really like they guy and want to remain friends, they you use your tractor on his place. No exceptions.

Every tool, tractor or anything mechanical will break. Either from abuse, or age. Usually a combination of the two. When it breaks, you do not know if he will take responsibility for it, and what that means. Will he do a band aid fix and hope you don't notice it? Will he give you the cash to fix it, but claim not to know how or have the time? Will he just park it and not say anything to you that it broke? Or will he return it to you with a full tank of fuel, washed and greased?

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #29  
Nope, I don't care how great a relationship with him that you have. I would never just borrow or lend anything that I cared about. I borrowed hand tool way back in my teens. Gears stripped, and I ended up replacing with a new tool. I did lend to my family and I usually got back broken. Took a couple of times of that to completely change my attitude. (yeah, slow learner) I asked to rent my neighbor's tractor last fall, she said that she would come with it. I just went out and bought my own..... Best policy.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #30  
Neighbors come and go, but a good tractor is priceless!!!

Never loan tools or equipment unless you get 100% cash deposit on what it will cost to get a new one the day you need it. Friends are seldom on the same page as the owner of the tool or equipment. They chose not to save up, sacrifice and do whatever it takes to aquire that tool or piece of equipment. That means it is not as important to them as it is to you!!!

If you really like they guy and want to remain friends, they you use your tractor on his place. No exceptions.

Every tool, tractor or anything mechanical will break. Either from abuse, or age. Usually a combination of the two. When it breaks, you do not know if he will take responsibility for it, and what that means. Will he do a band aid fix and hope you don't notice it? Will he give you the cash to fix it, but claim not to know how or have the time? Will he just park it and not say anything to you that it broke? Or will he return it to you with a full tank of fuel, washed and greased?

Very true. Have loaned tools to neighbors before who interpret loan as give. Have had to go and ask for the tool back. One neighbor told me he did not have the tool but had loaned it to Fred down the street.

From now on I go with the tool if I have time. If not I recommend a store where they can buy one. Motorized equipment I go with it or it doesn't go.
Sad that it has come to this.