Maintenance myths

/ Maintenance myths #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I'm wondering about some maintenance recommendations. In checking out my JD 2025R vs. a Kubota B2301, I found that Kubota had no cleanout of the hydraulic suction screens as recommended by JD @ 50 and 250 hours.

Also, JD (and my Isuzu diesel generator) recommend changing the anti freeze every year (or 1,000 hours) (this is Isuzu) and every other year (JD). Whereas, cars and trucks now are recommending 100k miles changes of antifreeze. Unless one has a head gasket leak, how's the stuff go bad in 1 or 2 years? Makes more sense to go the 1,000 hours.

I'm thinking over zealous maintenance can cause more potential damage than not.

Ralph

/ Maintenance myths #2  
I agree that it's easy to get carried away with too much maintenance, but find that the most common problems with tractors and cars is the lack of maintenance. One thing that struck me when I bought my zero turn mower is that they put a plug in at the spindle for the front tires and the dealer said that Scag removed the zirk fittings from there because people where over greasing it. They want it done at 100 hours, and not all the time. I do it once a year, regardless of hours, but that's just me.

/ Maintenance myths #3  
I am wondering what failure mode would be caused by overgreasing.

/ Maintenance myths #4  
current op manual for 2025r says "if" coolant is not checked annually the service interval is 2 years 2000 hours. If the coolant is checked annually it is 6 years 6000 hours. So if you don't test the coolant, then correct every other year. If you check it and add appropriate conditioner if needed then the 6 year program is just fine.

/ Maintenance myths #6  
I'm wondering about some maintenance recommendations. In checking out my JD 2025R vs. a Kubota B2301, I found that Kubota had no cleanout of the hydraulic suction screens as recommended by JD @ 50 and 250 hours.

Also, JD (and my Isuzu diesel generator) recommend changing the anti freeze every year (or 1,000 hours) (this is Isuzu) and every other year (JD). Whereas, cars and trucks now are recommending 100k miles changes of antifreeze. Unless one has a head gasket leak, how's the stuff go bad in 1 or 2 years? Makes more sense to go the 1,000 hours.

I'm thinking over zealous maintenance can cause more potential damage than not.

Ralph

You may be 'wondering' and 'thinking', but that doesn't correlate to actual facts. Coolant needs to be changed when recommended based on what was used by the manufacturer and the metals the coolant comes in contact with while in use. There are many types of coolant on the market and some require more frequent changes, depending on additive packages or lack thereof. AND coolant breaks down over time, and creates immovable sludge, without any head gasket issues or leaks.

Too frequent maintenance?! I don't think so. Don't do the maintenance if you don't want to, your loss. Cleaning screens on hydraulics makes sense, regardless of what one vs. another manufacturer states.

Cars and trucks see frequent use, generators don't. Chemicals break down, build up toxins based on use or lack thereof. Total different parameters for each kind of machine.

Think before drawing apple to orange comparisons.

/ Maintenance myths #7  
Over greasing of some things can cause you to blow out seals. Thats not good.

Similar to overfilling a engine with oil.

But the scag front spindle setup, at least on mine.....not the case. Mine got zerks put back in and they stay there. I give them a few pumps a few times a year.

IMO, the biggest myth or misconception on machine maintenance in general, is people thinking they HAVE to buy the OEM fluids and filters.

Not saying there is anything wrong with doing so, but not a requirement, and if you use good quality aftermarket stuff, you arent gonna shorten the life of anything on your machine if you use properly spec'd stuff

/ Maintenance myths #8  
I am wondering what failure mode would be caused by overgreasing.

On an old Massey, over greasing the rockshaft will eventually fill the differential and cause hydraulic pump failure. Otherwise if you see the old grease exit when greasing a joint, I see no problem unless you let it run out on the floor.

/ Maintenance myths #9  
Over greasing of some things can cause you to blow out seals. Thats not good.

Similar to overfilling a engine with oil.

But the scag front spindle setup, at least on mine.....not the case. Mine got zerks put back in and they stay there. I give them a few pumps a few times a year.

IMO, the biggest myth or misconception on machine maintenance in general, is people thinking they HAVE to buy the OEM fluids and filters.

Not saying there is anything wrong with doing so, but not a requirement, and if you use good quality aftermarket stuff, you arent gonna shorten the life of anything on your machine if you use properly spec'd stuff

New filter "specs" is proprietary information (all colors/brands do this). All that the aftermarket can do is cut apart and attempt to reverse engineer. So that it fits the application but does not necc do the same thing. Probably overkill for lower priced machines like l&g, but buyer beware there is some junk out there in the aftermarket world and unless it is a filter that has been around for many years the aftermarkets DO NOT have specs for any brand of oem filters. I know, someone will say that this oem has filters built by this company, etc. But the last thing that filter company wants to do is tick off the oem, get sued, lose a lot of money and a customer. IMAO

/ Maintenance myths #10  
current op manual for 2025r says "if" coolant is not checked annually the service interval is 2 years 2000 hours. If the coolant is checked annually it is 6 years 6000 hours. So if you don't test the coolant, then correct every other year. If you check it and add appropriate conditioner if needed then the 6 year program is just fine.

I need to add a conditioner to the antifreeze in my 2720? What kind of stuff is it and where do i get some? I guess I'm on the 6 year plan because I add to it when it gets low and never thought about changing it.