Mowing troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Does anyone know anthing about this mower at lowes. The reviews are good, looking for mower to handle 3 acres and some slope. Relibility is very important, gas milage also counts. I have been told to stay away from the john deere at l lowes because they are very cheap made. Troybilt seems to have the good reviews, but experience is the best teacher. Anything you can share about this mower is helpful. Not want to spend an arm and leg to mow if you know what I mean. I thought I would look at the dixon also. Thanks

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #2  
I had a bronco and the steering was always really loose. I didn't keep it long because it didn't have the power that I needed for my larger yard. I gave it to my daughter and bought a zero turn mower.
My brother in law has had great service from his Craftsman 6500 tractor. He has mowed about a 3 acre yard for 7 years and it is still working fine and at only around $2500 it has been a good mower.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #3  
My buddy's father sells Dixon and they like the line. The one I saw had a stamped deck and looked built to be reliable. I work for a Propane and Heating Oil Co. and that's what they use the 26hp Kohler version to maintain our Home Office lawn. My buddy's father swears by them sells quite a few of them.

Last edited:
   / troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #4  
My buddy's father sells Dixon and they like the line. The one I saw had a stamped deck and looked built to be reliable. I work for a Propane and Heating Oil Co. and that's what they use the 26hp Kohler version to maintain our Home Office lawn. My buddy's father swears by them sells quite a few of them.

The Dixon was a great mower, I'm told they are not made anymore.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #5  
I'm pretty sure Dixon is Live and Well. My friends father just got a bunch delivered for spring.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #6  
My next door neighbor has a Dixon. It mows great but I find that the deck height adjustment is just not high enough. Talked to the local repair shop guy and he said that there was no adjustment to make it go up more. The lower edge of the deck only goes about an inch above the grass when fully raised. I also don't like the cast aluminum mounting piece that attaches the control arms to the lower control linkage, one of which is broken on my neighbors. Hope they find a replacement part.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #7  
My son has a bronco and I have a pony, both troy built purchase the same day from Lowe's about 2 years ago. We each mow about 3+ acres with some 15-20% grades in areas. Bronco=17HP, Pony=15.5 HP and about $200 difference in price. Bronco has broken 2 belts pony zero.

IMHO the difference is negligible, 15.5HP is plenty and $200 in your pocket can buy blades and belts.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP
Would you recommend the extra warranty. Lowes said they would pick it up if anything goes wrong and if it happens 3 times they give you a new mower. I thank it's a couple hundred dollars.

/ troy-built xp super bronco 24 HP #9  
Would you recommend the extra warranty. Lowes said they would pick it up if anything goes wrong and if it happens 3 times they give you a new mower. I thank it's a couple hundred dollars.

We did not get the waranty because I don't think it covers belts and blades. Blades are about $30 a pair and belts are about $30. If you replace a belt and blades every year that's about $60 per year.

The real question is how many rocks and fallen tree branches/stumps are you going to hit?? If your property is relative free of obstacles you should'nt need the warranty.

I've had four mowers over the last 30+ years >>>>>>>>>>they don't last forever.