Mowing Soil moisture and mowing

/ Soil moisture and mowing #1  

dennisleary

Tractor
kubota 4760
I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb for when I can get out in my field with my tractor after rain - it's been a pretty wet winter in CA, and the last rain was about ten days ago. I have 30 acres of purple vetch that is starting to flower, and I want to mow it before it drops seed. Thing is, the ground still seems kind of wet. I don't want to compact the soil, but I don't want to wait too long to mow, either. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

/ Soil moisture and mowing #2  
I don't know of a standardized rule of thumb and everyone's tractor set up is different. (different tires different weight different soil). But what I do if in doubt is just test it out a little bit if I start to sink at all I stop. It doesn't take too much moisture to make it to wet even in firm soil. One way that seems like it might work is to try riding a bicycle over the area in question. If the bicycle sinks in or leaves a very clear mark in the ground it's definitely too wet.

/ Soil moisture and mowing #3  
There are too many variables to give a rule of thumb
What type of soil do you have
What is relief of the land
Do you have standing water
How much rain did you receive
For example I have areas I can mow immediately after a one inch rain. On same property ther are other areas that need to dry for several days prior to mowing