Oil & Fuel Add or not add oil additive to Kubota

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #1  

Foxl3830

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota l3830,Ford 8N
Got a ? My Kubota L3830 now approaching 900 hours just about ready for first oil change with me the new owner I did buy from dealer the filter and oil both Kubota not overly expensive was surprised! My ? Is should I add any additives to the motor oil ? Just a thought not sure just figured I'd ask I know in my gas vehicles when they get like 75,000 miles I'll add like a 1/2 quart of lucus oil treatment also with the fuel do you all add any additives I did when it was cold but do you all add any in summer ok thanks. Looking forward to hearing from every one this site is great sorry I don't get on here more but I work yet for a living yet thanks!!

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #2  
You could use a fuel lubricity additive like Stanadyne Performance Formula but there is no need for an oil treatment if you use good tractor diesel oil. I have used that Stanadyne fuel treatment for 20 years and thousands of hours now and have yet to have a fuel or injector problem.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #3  
Simple answer is no. 900 hours isn't squat. Both my Kubota tractors have over 3000 hours on them and I never put anything in the crankcase but premium motor oil. Do yourself a favor and before you drain your oil, order a Blackstone analysis kit, they are free. Send a sample in and know for sure how the engine is doing. Why guess.

Myself, I use either Stanadyne or Cat additive in the diesel fuel as a lubricity additive for the ULSD but nothing in the oil, never. No need. Waste of money.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #4  
Some people just can't help themselves. They are superstitious and believe in signs, symbols, good luck charms, potions, elixers and Magic. To ward of evil spirits and bad luck.
There is no need to purchase snake oil and pour it into a machine .

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #5  
Some people just can't help themselves. They are superstitious and believe in signs, symbols, good luck charms, potions, elixers and Magic. To ward of evil spirits and bad luck.
There is no need to purchase snake oil and pour it into a machine .
I agree. Unless your tractor is more than 10 years old, you don't need any "lubricity" agent in the fuel either. I think that is also another snake oil treatment, like injector cleaner in gasoline engines. I never put anything other than fuel in my fuel tanks and oil in the crankcase and never have any issues with quote "lubricity", algae, or bad injectors. Folks who use additives can honestly claim "been using xxxxx for 20 years and no problems. I also can claim that I have not been using them for 40 years with no problems.
My prognosis is use what ever makes you feel good as long as it is legal.

The only additive I can agree with is for you far north owners likely do need Anti-gel additives for winter use. Here in the deep south, I don't need that either.

I suppose if you don't store your fuel properly and get water in the storage tank an algaecide is also a good idea. I never put any in my tank in 6 years and never had any algae nor water (never seen an algaecide for sale anywhere either although I do see diesel fuel treatment additives). My 100 gallon steel tank and 275 gallon plastic TOTETANK are both stored inside a fully enclosed building and condensate is not a problem.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #6  
I asked the Kubota dealer when I purchased the M6040 new and he said "no additives needed". He added - many additives could potentially void the warrantee if there were ever engine problems.

I do add anti-gel to the diesel fuel for cold wx use - Power Service.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #7  
If you were running a generic oil I could see the thoughts of an additive. To run Kubota oil you do not need to add anything.. On the fuel issue we here in the north have found power service to be best for us. It is important to run your fuel out in the season by that meaning winter fuel is normally a little hotter blend to make starting easier. This could cause trouble in the summer months with the addition of the warm months mush the same as summer fuel will cause cold weather starting and running issues in the winter.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #9  
Buy quality diesel engine oil and don't worry about it. I use a fuel treatment because it gets cold enough here to need it, but that's it.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #10  
I agree. Unless your tractor is more than 10 years old, you don't need any "lubricity" agent in the fuel either. I think that is also another snake oil treatment, like injector cleaner in gasoline engines. I never put anything other than fuel in my fuel tanks and oil in the crankcase and never have any issues with quote "lubricity", algae, or bad injectors. Folks who use additives can honestly claim "been using xxxxx for 20 years and no problems. I also can claim that I have not been using them for 40 years with no problems.
My prognosis is use what ever makes you feel good as long as it is legal.

The only additive I can agree with is for you far north owners likely do need Anti-gel additives for winter use. Here in the deep south, I don't need that either.

I suppose if you don't store your fuel properly and get water in the storage tank an algaecide is also a good idea. I never put any in my tank in 6 years and never had any algae nor water (never seen an algaecide for sale anywhere either although I do see diesel fuel treatment additives). My 100 gallon steel tank and 275 gallon plastic TOTETANK are both stored inside a fully enclosed building and condensate is not a problem.

Gary... First off, I hate fuel and oil threads because they go on for pages and pages without an concrete basis. Having said that and not wanting to start 'another fuel additive thread' (believe me, I don't), It all depends on the injection method if you need a lubricity additive or not. If the pump is old style with micro honed surfaces (like mine are), an additive is a good thing. I happen to like the Caterpillar additive simply because the pump design on the mechanical Cats and my Kubota pump is very similar and it also bodes well for injector pintles.

Does it increase overall life of the components, thats a crap shoot but my Barnyard Buick has a 3406 Mechanical Cat and Cat advises using it, so it winds up in my bulk tank and every diesel I have gets fed from that tank.

My Eagle conventional has well over 600,000 miles on it and I've never had a pump or injector issue and a bottle of Caterpillar additive isn't cheap (34 bucks a pint) but thats cheap compared to a set of injectors, cups and a pump rebuild. I'll keep using it.

No snake oil in any crankcase however. Every diesel I own (and the cars as well) gets 5-40 Rotella Synthetic. My jobber delivers it in 55 gallon drums. The drain oil goes to my waste oil shop heater. All is well.