Mowing Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #1  

EdwardB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4410
What brand, model and size do you recommend? My tractor is hydrostatic with 35 HP and 29 PTO. It is 50" wide. I plan on using it to initially mow about 55 acres of old orchard land (trees have been removed). There are some small bushes, sumac and the like.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #2  
What brand, model and size do you recommend? My tractor is hydrostatic with 35 HP and 29 PTO. It is 50" wide. I plan on using it to initially mow about 55 acres of old orchard land (trees have been removed). There are some small bushes, sumac and the like.

The typical power rule of thumb is 5 pto hp/foot of mower so you could go to a 6 footer. Another consideration is the weight of the mower. When you raise a heavy mower on the three point it will transfer weight to the rear wheels and cause the front end to get lighter, affecting the steering control. 55 acres is a lot to cover so bigger mower width would be better but you also have to do it safely. If you can, see how your tractor handles with a 6 footer raised up on the three point and if the tractor feels squirely in turns than go to a 5 footer and check that out. There are some static stability calculations you could make to get an idea of how it might handle but you have to know the weight and center of gravity locations of the mower and the tractor.

I have a TO-30 and a 6 ft 750 lb mower and it's marginal so I use it on the Ford 4610.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #3  
I'm running a 5ft Bush Hog on my JD4200 with loader.
Tractor is listed at 2400lbs and 19 hp PTO.
Handles both easily.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #4  
Just to mention. Be concerned about the "shape" of the cutter you buy. Those with the 45 degree angles on the rear are to be avoided because they tend to "bend in" if you back into anything ..... which usually results in the blades hitting the body.......... an experience that will wake you up in a hurry.
Learned the lesson the hard way. Now I have a 6' Woods Brush Bull with the radiused rear ( i.e.round ) and I haven't had the problem.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #5  
A five ft.cutter would be best for that size tractor. I would recommend Landpride or Woods.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #6  
I used both a 5 and 6 footer on my 4410. It handled the 6 footer but that was as big as I felt comfortable with.

I also had the experience of backing into something and bending the side of the mower into the blades...yes indeed it will wake you up quick!

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #7  
6' medium duty.........5' too small. I have a 4400 with both mowers. Prefer 6' especially for what you propose to cut.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410
I am going to look at 6' mowers. Any experience with Land Pride? We have a dealer nearby.

/ Rear Rotary Mower for JD 4410 #9  
I'm with those recommending a five ft. mower. The thing that bothers me is the 55 acres. That's several days' worth of fairly slow work, and a bunch of fuel. It would drive me about nuts thinking of ways to do it faster. Given your description of reclaimed woods it sound like a rough mower like a bush hog is what you need, though. Hire a big one (15') and see how long it takes, then multiply by 4 (overlap) for your time.
Jim