Mowing craftsman garden tractor

/ craftsman garden tractor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Does anyone know anything about the craftsman garden tractors the 2016 models. I gave up on lowes mowers because they were listing a tractor troy-bilt that was out of stock and troy-bilt had it listed out of stock. I talked to Lowes and found the husqvarna so I looked at reviews and it was having problems with the transaxle braking after so many hours. $2299.00 is too mich to spend for a couple years then you have to replace axle. The axle is $975 for a new one. I looked at the hustler and it is around $4000. This is for 3 acreas with some slope. Not sure what too buy.

/ craftsman garden tractor #2  
I would look at a older Deere or cub. For another property that is 2 AC , we picked up a 2009 big box Deere 48" for $700. At flea mkt. Forget the model but it's a hydro drive. This is for a guy we hired to mow with.
Other mowers I use are JD L120, Cub 2186/54", Cub 3205/60" and JD 1025/60"

/ craftsman garden tractor #3  
In the $2K to $3K HST range you are going to get a lightweight transaxle. There are horror stories but for the average homeowner these machines will last 10 to 20 years. If you are mowing 3 acres, you aren't average. Sounds like you belong on a zero turn.

/ craftsman garden tractor #4  
My Kubota ownership was expedited by purchasing a new top of the line Craftsman mower. .. If I remember correctly it was a 26 HP GT bla bla bla. .. It may be the single biggest piece of crap I ever bought. After using it once on a very nice lawn, that was just a bit damp, I realized it was useless as a mower unless it was completely dry and only needed 1/2" trimmed off the top. .. I returned it the next day for a refund.

/ craftsman garden tractor #5  
Most people on this forum will tell you what you've seen so far is a waste of time and money. Get down to an implement dealer and pick up a real piece of iron, new or used.

/ craftsman garden tractor #6  
I have a Craftsman garden tractor. I have had it for 10 years. It is a good machine. It mows lawns, that is what it does. I have done the standard maintenance. Oil change, grease the right spots etc. The only major thing is this last year I to weld a part on the font axle.

I only mow about 3/4 of an acre with it. Had it before we bought the 18 acres we own now, when I lived a suburban life.

It is likely going to take quite a while to mow 3 acres. I'd consider a zero turn if the finances are available.

/ craftsman garden tractor #7  
I mow my 3 acres which is **** on a mower because I have a lot of sand. I'm not kidding when I say I wore out Lowe's type mowers every 2 years. If they weren't worn out then I had to keep replacing the same parts over and over and over. If I had the thousands of dollars I spent on those "throw away" mowers I could buy a top of the line commercial unit with ALL the bells and whistles. Matter of fact, I said heck with this and went and started shopping commercial mowers. Stuff like Exmark S series, Deere B series, Scag Turf Tiger and Cheetah, etc. Yeah I spent a foolish amount on a machine that has only one purpose (cut grass) but I can promise you it'll stand up to the abuse my yard will throw at it for years and years and years to come.

I'm gonna to be honest with you, most of your riding mowers are meant for square lawns that have perfect grass, exactly like you see in the pic in the brochure with the smiling woman that's cutting her grass that looks like Agusta National. Too bad that's not everybody's lawn.

/ craftsman garden tractor #8  
The big box mowers just seem to also be getting cheaper and cheaper made/ not the cost. Those made 15-20 years ago I think we're a little better quality than today's. In the $2000 range, like others said, get a older used true Deere that came from Deere dealer. Or similar. Simplicity, gravely etc. I've never been a fan of ZT's, but I've never had a flat yard either.

/ craftsman garden tractor #9  
I understand that Husqvarna is now building the Craftsman mowers... I have two Husqvarna mowers, one a Rider 155 that's 14 years old with over 2500 hours on it, and a GTH52xxx that 3 years old and about 50 hours on that one.

The old Rider has been a jewel. Mows 'golf course smooth'. I mowed 3 acres for about 10 years with that one, used it to haul logs after hurricanes before I bought my Kubota tractor. That little guy has simply been abused, but also well maintained. Almost no repairs and that's saying something since it has a Kohler 15hp engine and the TorqTuff K46 transaxle.

The newer GTH with the 26hp Kawasaki is definitely a brute, but not meant for nice smooth clean cut grass. It does great in waist high weeds, but it is NOT a garden tractor by any means, nor not even a smooth cutting lawn mower. In fact, I burnt the drive belt up trying to tow my golf cart uphill out of a creek :-( And unfortunately, it does not have true traction lock, which the newer ones I think do have. At least, it did not come with the TorqTuff transaxle!

I bought the GTH to handle cutting steep slopes on my pond dams. It had enough power but not enough traction. So, I changed out the turf tires on the rear for all-terrain tires, and added 50# weights to each drive wheel. It now handles the slopes with ease. I've not had any breakdowns with the GTH, but then, it's not all that old either.

I can recommend the Husqvarna Rider models for a 'lawn', but if you're cutting steep slopes or super high weeds, nah, I'd have to see it in action. Mine won't.

Unfortunately, ZTRs are not known for handling steep slopes either. Perhaps some other readers that own ZTRs have some mods to improve on slope mowing. If so, I'd sure be interested; no doubt a good quality ZTR would be the fastest and best cutting mowers to be had.

/ craftsman garden tractor #10  
Most people on this forum will tell you what you've seen so far is a waste of time and money. Get down to an implement dealer and pick up a real piece of iron, new or used.

Very good advise. My thought as well