Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length?

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #11  
Suction hoses will connect together but you should put the pump as close to the water's edge as you can. this is so the lift on the inlet side of the pump will be as little as practical. You will get better performance with as little lift as possible. If you only want to pump the level down a few feet, say 4 feet, a 20 fot suction hose should be enough as long as you have a good place to locate the pump where it will be stable and you can get to it. The suction hose will need to have a foot valve at the end so you can fill it and the pump with prime water. Another reason to keep the suction hose as short as possible.

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #13  
I'd just add that the seal on the inlet side has to be perfect all the way from the pump to the water. One little pinhole leak and it will not prime. On the discharge side, it will just leak water.

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #14  
When I bought my 3 inch pump, I found that Northern Tool had the best prices and selection for hoses. I went with them for all of it and I don't have any complaints. The suction hose isn't very long. I have a strainer at the end of it that I bought from Northern Tool also. I have three dishcharge hoses. I'm guessing each is 100 feet long. I might be way of on that. I rarely use it. The discharge hoses are soft fire hose looking things that roll up and don't take up any space at all. The suction hose is a pain to deal with because it's rigid and heavy.

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #15  
The biggest mistake people make with suction or discharge is bushing down in size. This adds a tremendous amount of friction and your pump will become a small pump with a large engine.

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #16  
Pumps are built to push, not pull. Pump suction port must be as low and as close to source as possible .

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #17  
The biggest mistake people make with suction or discharge is bushing down in size. This adds a tremendous amount of friction and your pump will become a small pump with a large engine.
True, but sometimes I don't need a big exhaust hose to get the job done,

standard.jpg

so I use a more "manageable" size that works perfect for the job at hand!

SR

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #18  
Hi, Haven't read every post. the exhaust host can be that cheap floppy junk hose, anything. The pick up hose, depending on where you're working can be partially ABS or PVC. There is s flex PVC that I have on the HOT TUB that works perfectly and can be glued to the any PVC if you have some in Line. AND you can use male or female PVC or ABS fittings to connect to your Trash Pump.

The pick up and lift all depends on your pump.

Have a great day.

Richard

/ Trash Pumps - Suction and Discharge Hose Length? #19  
Hi, Haven't read every post. the exhaust host can be that cheap floppy junk hose, anything. The pick up hose, depending on where you're working can be partially ABS or PVC. There is s flex PVC that I have on the HOT TUB that works perfectly and can be glued to the any PVC if you have some in Line. AND you can use male or female PVC or ABS fittings to connect to your Trash Pump.

The pick up and lift all depends on your pump.

Have a great day.

Richard

Have you looked at the flow and pressure curves of pumps with various suction heights ? How far can you make a pump "lift" ?