GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor

/ GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Does anyone have this tractor and your reviews on it. I was looking at the hustler 48 inch mower but very expensive. This tractor is on mowers direct.com and the reviews are very good. I do have some slope but tractor reviews say it handles slope very easy. I'm interested in what you have to say. It is hydrostatic and that bothers me some. I like gear driven. You can find tractor on the above web site. Thanks

/ GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor #2  
My church owns an earlier version of this mower (2006) that seems to be very similar. It's a 26 HP Kohler with hydrostat and a 54" deck. It's had some serious abuse (bent several deck mounting links and a number of mower blades) but has never needed major repair. For about 5 years it mowed 3 to 4 acres, now it regularly mows about 1/2 acre.

The good parts are the engine and the deck. I like the Kohler twin and it has a filter and pressure lubrication. I think it's had one spark plug change in 10 years and that's it. The deck is heavy and has spindles with grease fittings. It seems to have had some hard impacts but the spindles and bearings are original.

The hydrostat is still fully functional. It seems to me to be a bit weaker than it originally was, especially in reverse, but I can't swear to that. No leaks apparent. Other than that it's a typical mower. It's kind of slow and rough riding. It's got a big gas tank and that's good because the Kohler sucks down the gas.

/ GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor #3  
I guess I'm wondering why you have started 3 different threads looking for input on the same lawn tractor.
We have:
craftsman garden tractor
craftsman pro 26 hp v twin kohler garden tractor $2799
and now
GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor

A few guys have said they are ok. A few have said they are ok with the right transmission (K46 if I recall). But most have said to buy a better piece of hardware.

/ GT 6000 craftsman garden tractor #4  
For the price point have you looked at Simplicity. They cut fantastic, and are very popular mowing tractors, even a used one at that. Parts should be easier to get too.