lift arms too short?

/ lift arms too short? #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I have a problem with my implements hitting the tires and riding up on the tires on my IH 584 and on my IH684. I have narrow 36 inch tires and wide 30 inch tires. Lift arms are the same length. Does anyone else have this problem?

/ lift arms too short? #2  
I had the same problem with a ford 800 when I put the ford finish mower on.(you would think ford made them both so they should fit)I ended up removing the hitch pins from the finish mower and welding some steel on to extend the pins toward the tractor more and redrilling holes to locate the pins where I wantd them

/ lift arms too short?
I have been thinking about solving this problem by buying a 3 pt quick attach.
I think this will add 3 to 4 inches to the arms.
I do not want to spend much money but I am afraid is I cheap out the quick attach that it will not hold up.
Any ideas?

/ lift arms too short? #4  
Pat's hitch will extend the lift arms by 2-3 inches and will make hooking up all 3 pt. implements simpler. I installed the Pat's hitch 5-6 years ago on my 40 hp ford 4000 and have been very satisfied- they are very durable.

/ lift arms too short?
Pat's hitch will extend the lift arms by 2-3 inches and will make hooking up all 3 pt. implements simpler. I installed the Pat's hitch 5-6 years ago on my 40 hp ford 4000 and have been very satisfied- they are very durable.

Thanks for your input.
Why would one choose Pat's hitch over the inexpensive quick hitch?

I can see choosing it over the expensive quick hitches.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with a quick hitch?
I know of the issue on a quick hitch of the top link with a shredder, which I have concerns with. I have looked at Pat's hitch and the idea of the fixed with of the quick hitch seems better. If pat's is better, then I would for sure go with it over the quick hitch.

/ lift arms too short? #6  
The quick hitch requires that the hitch pins on ALL implements be a standard distance apart. Many 3 point implements have slightly different pin widths.

/ lift arms too short? #7  
Yep. As KYErik briefly explained, many implements have varying hitch measurements. It's very common to be required to alter implements to make a QH work.

With Pat's this alteration is not necessary. And usually the standard top link can be lengthened enough to take care of the backset of the implement.

I've used both. Still use a QH on my big tractor. I greatly prefer the QH. But I have the means to alter my implements to make it useable. If you don't have that luxury, then go with the Pat's.

Very common for older tractors trying to hitch to newer equipment to have the problem you are describing.

Were it me, again having the resources to modify, I'd redesign the offending equipment. :)

P.S. Go 4th ID

/ lift arms too short? #8  
The quick hitch requires that the hitch pins on ALL implements be a standard distance apart. Many 3 point implements have slightly different pin widths.
plus a post hole digger will not work with a quick hitch.

/ lift arms too short?
plus a post hole digger will not work with a quick hitch.

Another good point. Considering the post hole digger, the shredder, all my old implements, I think I am going to go with Pat's.

/ lift arms too short?
Pat's quick hitch due to arrive tomorrow.