Why do most tractors with FEL's.........................

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
have the lift cylinders mounted so the rod is fixed to the frame and the cylinder goes up to lift the arm instead of being turned around so the cylinder is fixed to the frame and the rod pushes up the arm?

This means the hoses have to move to follow the cylinder as it moves up and the system requires a little more 'juice' to push the weigh of the cylinders up.

My old Ferguson had the cylinder fixed and the rod went out like I would expect, but newer machines, not so much.

Any ideas?

Example borrowed for clarity:
466465d1461811118-weak-loader-curl-possible-solution-p1030786-jpg

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #2  
My guess is ease of running hoses for quick disconnect reasons. If hoses were at base of mast, hose would have to run all around the frame to other side.

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #3  
Makes perfectly good since to me. Besides the action is pushing the load away from rod(hence physics of hydraulics):rolleyes: I guess. Except for curl

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #4  
Rod up or rod down, it is still pushing the load when extending.

Bruce

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #5  
Could be the difference between a loader that has a quick disconnect verses a loader that doesn't. My lift cylinders have the tube attached to the frame.

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #6  
possibly trying to protect the rod from debris which could cause scratches in the rod.

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #7  
possibly trying to protect the rod from debris which could cause scratches in the rod.

Best answer so far. IMO.

It protects the seal being on the back side of the load.

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #8  
Cylinders will push more from the bored side. More oil can fill the space. They push less on the side with the rod in it which usually turned to the direction of less demand. Look at excavators and backhoes etc.

/ Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #9  
Doesn't matter which way it is turned. Push is the exact same.

Bruce

Rod-up-down-equal.jpg

Last edited:
   / Why do most tractors with FEL's......................... #10  
Doesn't matter which way it is turned. Push is the exact same. Bruce

Read up on calculating hydraulic force which takes into account piston on area. One side of the piston has less area for the oil to push against thus will have less applied from that side.