Storing compact TLB on trailer

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #1  

iam2sam

Tractor
looking
I have no provision on my land to store my newly acquired (but not new) Terramite T5C indoors when not in use. I plan to rig a tarp canopy to shield it from at least the worst downpours. I would also like to get it at least a few inches off the ground. It would be great if I could safely store the 3,000 lb. machine on my trailer (5T net capacity). I know that I cannot safely drive on and off the trailer without hitching it to a vehicle, but I was wondering if I could load the tractor while hitched, then unhitch and use a jack (existing tongue jack or a farm jack) to lower the trailer onto a pair of suitable jack stands (one on each side of the front), reversing the process to unload. This would also simplify the canopy provision. Is this a possibility, or complete lunacy? I had an alternative thought of creating a concrete based post to accept the trailer coupler (pintle) but I can't think of a reasonable way to transfer the trailer from the hitch to the post and back. Thanks.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #2  
once you decide on a cover, don't forget to look @ potential rodent damage esp to elec/tubing damage during their nesting. they love for you to provide them a roof & shelter. just search forum for all that info
daylight (even w/cover) discourages nesting as with other deterrents such as mothballs & dryer sheets (bounce,etc)

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #3  
I think if you put jack stands under the rear of the trailer, you should be able to load and unload without hooking up your tow vehicle as long as you are on level ground.
I do see a potential for easy theft of your tractor and trailer and a very quick theft at that. Just back up, hook up and go in less than 2 minutes.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #4  
Might be a good idea to enable the trailer brake breakaway unit to set the brakes while unloading/loading an unhooked trailer. Blocks or stands under the rear corners will be a must.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer
once you decide on a cover, don't forget to look @ potential rodent damage esp to elec/tubing damage during their nesting. they love for you to provide them a roof & shelter. just search forum for all that info
daylight (even w/cover) discourages nesting as with other deterrents such as mothballs & dryer sheets (bounce,etc)
Unfortunately, I am well aware of the potential for rodent and other animal damage at this site. I didn't plan to tarp the tractor tightly, just enough to shelter it from direct rainfall. I will also take other precautions, as you suggest.

So, if I support the front and rear of the trailer adequately with jack stands, and eliminate the possibility of a trailer rollaway via brakes and chocks, I should be able to achieve enough stability to load and unload the tractor on the trailer without a vehicle hook up or a set in concrete hitch post? That would be great, and save me a lot of work. I do understand the theft potential, but the property is remote, and I'm fairly confident that my access road will go a long way toward discouraging that kind of behavior. I also plan to set up a game camera for surveillance (I alread have several on site), so if someone actual did steal the machine, I'd probably have a license plate record.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #7  
I have a plywood rip that I lay over the cockpit. It rests at an angle on the steering wheel and ROPS mounted tool box. It shelters the cockpit and fuel cap. In bad weather I loosely drape a small tarp over the plywood and tie off the corners. It's quick, cheap, and works well.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #8  
What about using a shipping container instead? You can lock them too.

/ Storing compact TLB on trailer #9  

And they're very affordable. I would make this my first priority if it were my tractor, and I planned to leave it at the property.

I've considered this. No question they are affordable. The issue is my very steep and curvy access road, which would make delivering and positioning a 4-5000 lb 20' container a serious challenge. One of my projects is to fabricate a vermin-proof shed on-site for my smaller equipment items. Believe me, if I was confident that I could get a container where I need it, I would opt for that instead as it would save me both money and time.