EA Wicked Grapple Carnage!

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #1  

rustyshakelford

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 5100E/H260/MX15
Well I finally found the limit of my grapple! Looks like I'll be needing atleast one cylinder unless I can get a replacement rod and maybe a second one. It's only 1/2" or so from closing all the way.

I shoved over a pine tree while the ground was soft from all the rain. Come down easy enough but the root ball was being stubborn. I grabbed it in the middle and went forward to try and roll it out of the hole and pop and remaining roots. Went all the way I could one way and moved to the other side to push it back. I moved to the back and when I cycled the grapple I noticed the right hand lid was about 10" from closing. Checked it out and looked like a bent rod. Wasn't until I went home and popped the pins out till I saw the damage. Hopefully I can get some new ears to weld on. Guess I'll be calling Travis to see if they would sell me some.

I am taking full responsibility of this. My tractor is 11k lbs iirc and this grapple was designed for subcompacts. I also was putting the lids in a bind, never had any issues before but today was my day. Consider what this has been thru I'm still very happy with it and recommend it.

Brett

Bent rod
CC5DC132-E065-4522-AF5D-C8D84D4EF88A_zpsih4igpnz.jpg

Bad side mount
3B4E5C39-D7DD-47C5-AD5C-2747B1CE319B_zpskr7apsig.jpg

What it should look like
BFA970E8-9E24-45B7-B6E2-6D3D31D24F82_zpswqei9kl3.jpg

Last edited:
   / EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #2  
That notch is a weakness in the design. You can fix that! ;-)

The cylinder rod can be straightened, It will weep a bit for ever more, but not so much as to really be an expense.

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #3  
Last edited:
   / EA Wicked Grapple Carnage!
TractorData.com: TractorData.com John Deere 5055E tractor information

Why did you buy a grapple designed for a sub-compact tractor, when a bare JD 5055E tractor weighs 5,000+ pounds?

EA hadn't begin working on a utility size grapple yet. After seeing the abuse that Eric does to his 6010 I figured I'd give it a shot. Still very happy with it and I'd say that after everything I've done with this grapple if this is my breakdown, I can live with that. These things are great.

Why would you link a tractor data spec sheet? I'm very aware of my tractors size and have even pointed out in the original post about me knowing I was way outside what it was designed for.

Brett

That notch is a weakness in the design. You can fix that! ;-)

The cylinder rod can be straightened, It will weep a bit for ever more, but not so much as to really be an expense.

Honestly it's held up great! They designed this for a sub compact tractor and this is the only thing I've broke and it was from me torquing the lids I think. This is the first damage for these I've seen and I would considered this abuse. There's no way I would be able to damage one made for my size tractor if I got one of them.

I still say these are the best grapples on the market! I'll look into straightening the rod. Have torches, presses and vices. Doesn't look very bad but keeps it from retracting all the way

Brett

Here's a picture of a 5055e if anyone is wondering. Loaded rears and had my mx7.

Brett

4A608BF3-CADD-4A32-8FED-6F1978268791_zpsmspo8fcg.jpg

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #7  
Honestly it's held up great! They designed this for a sub compact tractor and this is the only thing I've broke and it was from me torquing the lids I think. This is the first damage for these I've seen and I would considered this abuse. There's no way I would be able to damage one made for my size tractor if I got one of them.

I still say these are the best grapples on the market! I'll look into straightening the rod. Have torches, presses and vices. Doesn't look very bad but keeps it from retracting all the way

Brett

Do not heat that rod as it will remove the chrome and leak like mad and don't ask how I know LOL. If you have a hyd press you cab straighten it out. Use a piece of angle to check it with for straightness. Been there and done that

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #8  
I say your lucky something more expensive didn't break! It's risky to push on something with the FEL using engine power and traction since you can easily break stuff. If you stick with hydraulics only, you normally hit relief before things will break.

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #9  

Brett

A local hydraulic repair shop can straighten the rod without damaging it.

/ EA Wicked Grapple Carnage! #10  
Image1462127509.521617.jpg

Image1462127556.945566.jpg

The Anbo would have suited you better. With the steel they use, I've yet to bend a single tine while I was maxing out on the capabilities and more. The tractor will break before the grapple gets a ding.