Fence controller

/ Fence controller #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I have switched my garden electric fence controller from battery to ac. Problem is that I have to run an ext cord to the controller, about 225ft from the recently installed outlet. Should there be concern with voltage drop to the controller using 18ga cord. I don't think the amp draw is much, but I'm not sure. Obviously bigger gauge would be ideal, but can I get away with the cheap harbor freight cords? Any risk or danger, or just less output maybe?

/ Fence controller #2  
I have switched my garden electric fence controller from battery to ac. Problem is that I have to run an ext cord to the controller, about 225ft from the recently installed outlet. Should there be concern with voltage drop to the controller using 18ga cord. I don't think the amp draw is much, but I'm not sure. Obviously bigger gauge would be ideal, but can I get away with the cheap harbor freight cords? Any risk or danger, or just less output maybe?

I'm not an electrician, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. Wait...that's not a good response.

My BIG question is why the heck didn't you go with solar? At bit more expensive maybe but running a cord the length of a football field, presumably out in the weather with exposed connections just doesn't make sense.

Search Results for solar fence charger at Tractor Supply Co.

It is a disaster waiting to happen. Drive over it, disc it, trip on it, etc. Plus, Harbor Freight cords (and maybe others) are going to break down in direct sun. Shorting and blown fuses will be a constant issue.

The sensible solution is to use bury-able #10 cable or run the wire through conduit underground. But then you'll exceed the cost of solar.

Maybe an electrician on here has a better recommendation.

EDIT: A better option, if you must have AC, is to plug the charger in at your outlet and run an electric fence wire out to your garden.

/ Fence controller #3  
Find the input amps and voltage range, should be a label on the charger. Then Google voltage drop calculator. Make sure drop doesn't make voltage any lower than range on charger. If no range go for max 5% drop.

/ Fence controller
Outlet is by well pump and I'v e always heard don't put controller and ground rods within 50ft of wells. The solar ones do not offer much output. The battery powered one I have is 1 joule and it will pop you real good. Voltage drop with 18ga ext is about 50%. I havent purchased the ac controller yet, so calm down. I gotta keep the neighbors goats out if they get in that area. I'm not worried about weather, cord will be suspended in the air and connections sealed. I'll see if I can find mfg specs on the 50 mile controller.

/ Fence controller #5  
Put the charger next to the house and run charged wire out to the garden. The distance you're talking about -- 225 feet -- is nothing for a charger, electric fences are usually measured in miles.

/ Fence controller
Putting it by the house runs back into the same situation as the well pump location.

/ Fence controller #7  
Goats ??? They're pretty stubborn when it comes to escape or a meal. Buy a very high powered fencer ( 30 -50 mile rated) Install at least 3 8 foot ground rods connected together. You can separate the ground plane from your house or well by 50 or 100 feet of wire. Don't need very large wire since it isn't carrying a lot of amps and the voltage drop on a few thousand volts is minimal. Then run your fence wire over head on insulators to your garden. A good fencer needs a good ground system. Otherwise you only have half a fence system... No matter how powerful your fencer.

Other option is to install bi-polar fence around your garden.

/ Fence controller #8  
If the battery-powered one has sufficient "deterrent effect," why not just continue to use it, and add a solar charger to keep the battery topped up?

/ Fence controller #9  
The solar ones do not offer much output. The battery powered one I have is 1 joule...

My solar charger is 6 joule, there is a 18 joule I'd like to have.

What "danger" are you worried about, burning up the extension cord?

You could add a solar panel and keep the battery power charger.

/ Fence controller
I had a solar charger on the deep cycle 12v last year. It worked but not without constant checking, and overall it wasn't ideal.
I haven't seen a solar powered controller that strong, at least reasonably priced.