Oil & Fuel Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump #1  

SprayerTC

Tractor
Ford 1900
Recently acquired a Ford 1900 utility tractor with the 3 cyl diesel engine. Doing routine service on the machine and noticed the sticker showing the recommended injector pump oil change interval. Since I was in the process of changing all the other fluids and the status of those fluids suggested it had been awhile, I figured changing the injector oil was probably a good idea too. Looked in vain for a drain plug. Google referred to posts about this on this forum, where I learned that some injector pumps lacked a drain port. So I loosened the bolts on the end cover to drain the oil, creating perhaps a 2mm gap for oil to drain. Then I (over)filled the housing, thinking that a plug on the side of the pump was the level port mentioned on the sticker. Back to Google, where I learned that pumps that lacked the drain port also lacked the fill level port. This time I removed the end plate to drain the oil and inspect the guts. Everything looked fine and seemed to move appropriately when the throttle shaft was rotated. The cover had a spring on it and I was careful to re-assemble so that it engaged the internal shaft. Put 2oz of oil in the pump (more info from this forum) and started the tractor. Now the engine would not throttle up, would only run at idle. NO response from turning throttle. Bled injector pump and lines at the injector and got some air, but engine still would not respond to throttle. Serviced sediment bowl and fuel filter, replaced all fuel lines, both supply and injector return lines (they needed it and wanted to eliminate the possibility of sucking air), no change. Back to Google. Found thread on this forum about others having similar problem and solution being failure to properly engage the spring when replacing the cover. Also, in one case, possibility of adding too much oil causing same problem. Removed cover again to drain oil and make sure when i reassembled that the sprig was properly installed. None of this has made any difference, problem remains. Anyone got any ideas?

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump #2  
Wow. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, your pump should probably be sent out to a repair shop. Unless you are savy on how to remove the pump, and still keep it in time with the rest of the engine, I would have the dealer do it for you.

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump
Wow. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, your pump should probably be sent out to a repair shop. Unless you are savy on how to remove the pump, and still keep it in time with the rest of the engine, I would have the dealer do it for you.

Topbuilder: I actually stuck with the process and got the pump working properly. I removed the inspection cover for the pump pistons and could see that the linkage for the throttle rack was working correctly. I figured that if I have good fuel supply, the linkage and rack are working, the only thing left was the governor. I did not see anything wrong with the governor but exercised it manually a few times and voila, regained throttle control! Thanks for the response, fortunately I did not have to incur more expense and time on this issue.

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump #4  
I thought the injector pump got it's lubrication from the crankcase oil, I guess I learned something new.

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump #5  
Glad to hear that! Energy spent talking to dealers and mechanics is better used in seat time.

/ Ford 1900 won't throttle up after changing oil in injector pump #6  
My Ford 1900 has a drain port and a breather at the top to put oil in and you fill it to the full level mark port. The ports are just phillips looking screws in the side of the pump. Just changed the oil this spring after having a fuel issue with yellow jackets in the tank blocking the inlet port. Had to suck them out with my kerosene pump. There were 5 of them in the tank.

Steve