Hydraulic fluid question

/ Hydraulic fluid question #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I have a NH TC35D with hydro transmission. It is time to change the fluid according to the manual. But, I have heard NH has came out and said not to change the fluid only if it is dirty etc. I do intend on changing the filter, but see no reason to replace the fluid if it looks good. What are ya'lls opinions? Thanks!

/ Hydraulic fluid question #2  
I don't change mine if it looks good. When I do I use the premium Travelers brand from TS that has the NH 134D spec on the label.

/ Hydraulic fluid question #3  
Let me get this right.

You have hearsay to the effect NH says...
NH prints in it's manuals to change.

How do know know if it is dirty?
What do you define as dirty?
Do you consider condensate as dirty?

I think the cost of a breakdown far exceeds the cost of an oil change.

Then again if you plan on abusing your tractor then selling it to someone before it breaks down ....

/ Hydraulic fluid question #4  
Hydraulic oil does not wear out. The most important change is the first one. Flushing any potential metal shavings, stuff from manufacturing. Beyond that, the major concern is moisture from condensation which shows up as milky oil.

/ Hydraulic fluid question #5  
Hydraulic oil does not wear out. The most important change is the first one. Flushing any potential metal shavings, stuff from manufacturing. Beyond that, the major concern is moisture from condensation which shows up as milky oil.

I agree ^^^^ and would change the hydraulic filters to keep the fluid clean. Make sure you clean the sump screen if you have one too. When changing the oil I use the factory recommended product in my case the Deere HyGuard low viscosity oil.