Canopy Finally added a canopy....

/ Finally added a canopy.... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Been wanting a canopy for some time now and finally got a Great Day unit to put on the 790. I saw this one on CL but it was a pretty good drive so I passed on it at first. I kept seeing it when I did searches on CL so I finally emailed the guy and asked about it. He said he had bought it (new they are $299 and includes shipping) for his NH TC40. When he got it in and tried it on, guess what? It didn't fit the ROPS! He never bothered to measure his ROPS. Dohhhh!! So, naturally you would return it, but he found out it was gonna cost about $100 ship it back to Texas so he decided to sell it for what he could get. I paid $250 for it, and would have got the price down, except for the fact that I asked him to meet me halfway which he gladly agreed to. I think he was just anxious to get his money back out of it. Anyway, it fit mine PERFECT and was a very easy one man bolt on job. I really like it, but if I had any complaints about it, I would like it to be about one foot longer in the front, and maybe about 3 inches wider on each side to give more coverage.

I plan to add a LED light bar in the front, and maybe one in the back too for some extra lighting, but since I don't use it much in the darkness, that's not a big priority. Really love the shade it gives me now! :thumbsup: It's fairly sturdy, but when I take it through the woods now I just have to be more careful of the tree limbs. Overall, I would give it a 9 out of 10.

DSC02268.JPG

20160319_083856.jpg

/ Finally added a canopy.... #2  
I had one on a 255 Massey, made the summer a lot cooler and rain a lot more endurable. Enjoy Ed

/ Finally added a canopy.... #3  
I really enjoy the canopy on my Kioti. Sure I hit a limb now and then, but so far it has not wadded it up or damaged it in any way. I lucked out on the price, I got it with the tractor new, and they charged me $198. It is all steel and I was very pleased with the price and coverage. It makes working in the sun on those 90+ degree days doable as long as you have plenty of water. At least the sun is not beating down on your punkin head. It ain't a cab and air conditioning, but sure is better than nothing at all.

090812 006.jpgDSC00013.JPGDSCF0548.JPG

/ Finally added a canopy.... #4  
I made one for my John Deere 4120. It has a wooden frame made from pressure treated 2x2's and is covered with canvas (The first canvas lasted about 10 years and was cut out of an old boat-cover I bought at a garage sale for $10. The one on it now was cut out of an old tent-camper that my brother in law scrapped). I like my fabricated cover better than any of the aftermarket or factory types that are available. It attaches quickly with 4 bolts. The canvas over wood construction make it very light and easy to put on and off. It is larger and deeper than the factory-jobs, doing a much better job blocking the sun at lower angles. Best of all, the cost was tough to beat at under $20, and a couple hours time fabricating. I made it tapered toward the front so that it deflects branches quite well. I wasn't sure how it would hold up, but it has done better than the big factory fiberglass one I had on my last tractor.

I like an open-station tractor with a canopy better than a cabbed model. The canopy blocks the sun very well. The difference it makes on a sunny day is incredible. I never felt the need for air-conditioning under the shade of my big canopy, especially when the tractor is rolling along at a good clip. I bet a lot less cabbed tractors would be sold if folks new how nice it was under a good canopy.

/ Finally added a canopy.... #5  
I had a plywood canopy on mine before I built my ROPS/FOPS and put plywood on top of it... much nicer than sun on yer neck.

/ Finally added a canopy.... #6  
Just put one on mine this year, pulled it off a Jacobson fairway mower I picked up, was even a close enough match for Kubota orange.1463980630034.jpg

/ Finally added a canopy.... #7  
James,

Like the look of your canopy and the fact that its steel. Can you tell me the brand. Thanks

/ Finally added a canopy.... #8  
James,

Like the look of your canopy and the fact that its steel. Can you tell me the brand. Thanks

Yes, it is a Wells Ag brand. their web site seems to be down
Wells AG Co  
Address: 729 S McLennan Dr, Elm Mott, TX 76640
Phone:(254) 829-2822

/ Finally added a canopy.... #9  
I've got a 4' x 5' drop of 10 gauge that sitting around up in the shop taking up space ... might have to consider making a FOPS on the way to a full cab ... :scratchchin:

/ Finally added a canopy.... #10  
One issue with lights on the front of the canopy that I missed till it happened, bugs! They will be drawn to the light which is case you missed it is not that far from your face. But boy does the lights there do a great job when you need them and another addition under there you may like with our SC humidity and temp is a fan. That can also help with the bugs. Great addition to your tractor.