Hydro usage question

/ Hydro usage question #1  

Charlie_in_TX

Gold Member
I mostly use it for mowing. My tractor has a hydro with 3 ranges. 1st ~ 0 - 4mph, 2nd ~ 0 - 7mph, 3rd ~ 0 - 10mph. If I am mowing at 4mph is it best (for the hydro) to mow wide open in first, moderatly in second or lugging in 3rd?

/ Hydro usage question #2  
I would think the second range would be the best. Not over revving or loading the engine would seem to be the best route to go.

/ Hydro usage question #3  
Since it's a hydro I don't see how it should matter. The ranges are just there so it is easier to get the speed you want. They could just give you the high range, but then it would be a lot more touchy. I would use whichever you like the best.

/ Hydro usage question #4  
Moderation in whateve we do seems to be a good policy...I would use the middle range myself.

/ Hydro usage question #5  
For best efficiency of your mower, I would set the RPMs at the appropriate PTO speed, and then use the ranges/forward pedal to get your optimum ground speed. Most mowers are designed to work best at a "rated" PTO speed. Engine RPMs lower than that may not do a good job of cutting and higher RPMs could result in damage to the mower.

(This assumes you have a tachometer - I didn't check your profile to see if you are using one of the BX models without a tach. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

/ Hydro usage question #6  
I use medium range. My tractor's main job is mowing a 3.5 acre yard which is pretty hilly. I started out using high range but when trying to start from a stop on the steeper slopes it would either really struggle or not even move in high. In medium range I have no problems at all. If your area is pretty flat then high may not give you any troubles, but I think medium range would give better pto speeds as the tractor would not have to work as hard.

/ Hydro usage question #7  
<font color="blue"> Since it's a hydro I don't see how it should matter. The ranges are just there so it is easier to get the speed you want. They could just give you the high range, but then it would be a lot more touchy. I would use whichever you like the best. </font>

Many folks have reported significant power to the wheels differences between high and low range. I know that with my IH tractor, in high range it has no guts and will not climb a hill. The manuals say the high range is for transporting it from place to place and low range is for working. It definately will not do any serious work in high range, but in low range will knock a house off it's foundation. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydro usage question #9  
My vote is medium. ...just like I like my steak. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Hydro usage question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Since it's a hydro I don't see how it should matter. The ranges are just there so it is easier to get the speed you want.)</font> Using a hydro, as far as ranges go, is really no different than using gear. Think of the hydro as a throttle and if you're in high range, you still don't have the pulling power that you have with low range. When you press the HST "throttle" in high gear, you get a temporary lug down and then a catch up of engine power if you give it all at once. Would be the same with a gear in high range and giving full throttle. Low or mid range would be much better so as not to put a strain on the entire tractor. I think it's something that the tractor will let you know pretty quickly, if one is paying attention. John