Little Tractor, Big Planter

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #11  
Biggest Problem I see: the tractor has no cab.

Will admit this surprises me, I have a set of those planters used to plant corn late March this year. He would have failed in my fields as wet as they were. Remember we had records flooding statewide last October with a good bit of rain over the winter. Soil type and condition can make a good bit of difference also how heavy planters are loaded.

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #12  
Shouldn't the planter be setting level? So the seeds aren't to deep and the rear wheels cover the seeds and pack the dirt.

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #13  
Shouldn't the planter be setting level? So the seeds aren't to deep and the rear wheels cover the seeds and pack the dirt.

I have set of these planters that are new to me but used to plant corn this year with good results in doing so but have spent hours reading their manual. They give you specs on how level it must be when lowered for planting. Also give you mph range to plant in or get spacing think further apart if slower and closer together if too fast. We ran with more hp with ours on the high side and did end up with closer spacing than the test run to measure the seeds. To me most seeds will do well planted less or deeper than is recommended to a good degree. While it worked with the soil conditions and such he had this year over time he will hit conditions that are not so perfect and maybe not as much more hp but heavier tractor is needed and also there is the issue over stress to the system to the smaller tractor to pull the load with the smaller drive train. What we can do for short time is one thing compared to hours of use with same setup. The ability to match the row markers with the tractor may or may not be an issue for the next round. He would had to run them out further than for a tractor of recommended width. However what is most important is the ability to use the tools you have to do a job that meets your needs.

We all have seen where smaller tractor or implement did more than recommended and did it sufficiently for our needs. May have had to take it slower or narrower width or less of cut to do so but for our needs at that time it worked. We all know having the equipment from tractor to implement that are rated for each other and sized for each other and also our conditions is preferred but not always possible.

In saying all this if the crop does well for him or not still impressive what he achieved, I would have never thought it would have. It is a great little train story, hope you remember that story from your childhood!

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #14  
The ability to match the row markers with the tractor may or may not be an issue for the next round. He would had to run them out further than for a tractor of recommended width.

Wouldn't you just run the marker down the middle of the hood (hence the drawbar) regardless of what the hood is covering?

I'm also surprised that it worked. I would have expected it to spin out and stop. Was 4wd used? How much seed and fertilizer in the hoppers?

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter
Yes RaydaKub, 4WD was used. I split one 50lb bag of corn in the 4 hoppers, and had 200lbs of fertilizer in.

I think my 50" tiller is harder on the tractor than this planter.

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #16  
Wouldn't you just run the marker down the middle of the hood (hence the drawbar) regardless of what the hood is covering?

I'm also surprised that it worked. I would have expected it to spin out and stop. Was 4wd used? How much seed and fertilizer in the hoppers?

Unless his markers are different than on mine no, they line up with wheel.

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #17  
Yes RaydaKub, 4WD was used. I split one 50lb bag of corn in the 4 hoppers, and had 200lbs of fertilizer in.

I think my 50" tiller is harder on the tractor than this planter.

Impressive! Love seeing folks gettin it done with what they got and trying it for themselves!

What kind of ground conditions? No till or post till? What kind of depth did u sow?

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter
I have bean cups and corn meters for this planter. I aim for 1" depth on the beans, 2-3 inches on the corn. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I planted, and we're getting a good rain right now with mid 80 temps. Corn and beans should be up on the weekend. I'll post some pics, if anything sprouts, that is!

Post till, as I have a 50 inch tiller. I thought about no till, but I don't have the no till coulters on the planter.

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #19  
Unless his markers are different than on mine no, they line up with wheel.
I haven’t run a corn planter in about 35 years. My dad had 38 inch rows and pulled it with a narrow front Model A JD, so what do I know?

/ Little Tractor, Big Planter #20  
That's a cool setup. My only concernwould be the planter overpowering the tractor going down hill. A buddy of mine pulled a 30' travel trailer with a v8 cherokee. Plenty of power but i was always concern for him and his family in the event of a panic stop. Just my extreme safety first mindset....