Question for all backhoe owners

/ Question for all backhoe owners #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
It's my first time owning a backhoe (Kubota B2650). I've got several yard projects in addition to some heavier work in the woods. The yard projects include digging up some old shrubs in the front garden, a couple medium sized stumps for removal, boxing out an area in a fenced playground for stone. So I got thinking, and realized that for each of the yard projects, just dumping the dirt in a pile on the grass as I hoe is far from ideal - not only does it create a second mess to clean up later, but will likely end up trashing the grass with the FEL. I'm wondering how experienced operators out there deal with this. What do you do with your dirt when you're digging in an area like a lawn where you want it removed immediately?

The possible solutions I came up with are setting up my small trailer and loading that, except then I'd have to remove the backhoe to pull the trailer with the 3 point hitch. If I had a hitch mounted on the BH I could then drag the trailer to the field and tip it up with the FEL to dump it. Or, I was thinking of buying a cheap used bedliner, dump my spoil into that as I dig, drag it away when I'm done, and use the FEL to tip out the load. Of course, I could try talking my wife into letting me buy a Gator with a dump bed but coming on the heels of a new 2650 I doubt that will happen.

/ Question for all backhoe owners #2  
Either putting the dirt into something like you said, a trailer, or in my case, I have a small 6 yard dump truck. If I'm putting the dirt back where it came from and I want to protect the grass, I use sheets of plywood. Why can't you hook up a trailer to a pickup truck?

/ Question for all backhoe owners
My truck happens to be a 2002 excursion since I sold my Chevy last year so that won't work for me. Youre right though, a little s10 or ford ranger yard truck would be nice for small jobs, could scrape the spoil out with the bucket. But after buying the tractor...and the backhoe...and the box blade...and the finish mower...I've pretty much used up all my credit with my wife for about the next 20 years or so.

/ Question for all backhoe owners #4  
A fellow backhoe owner uses old fuel tanks. The ones shaped like a pocket flask holding 500 gallons. He cuts them in half forming two trays. Chains at each corner allow lifting or dragging. Lift two chains and the tray dumps. Don't have to scrape the spoil out. :thumbsup:

/ Question for all backhoe owners #5  
My truck happens to be a 2002 excursion . . . .

Why can't you pull your small trailer with your Excursion?

Do you have a garden tractor or even a zero turn mower? You could buy a little garden buggy and fill it up and haul it off with the garden tractor. Granted, it would be a slow process as the garden buggy would only hold a few buckets full of dirt, but it's one way of doing it.

/ Question for all backhoe owners #6  
Can you put a ball on your bucket and pull trailer using bucket of FEL

/ Question for all backhoe owners #7  
Go to a brick supply. Ask to buy a sandbag that they usually deliver sand in. They hold a yard and have straps that your can then carry your dirt around the yard in.

Very strong. .

uploadfromtaptalk1464235657436.jpg

/ Question for all backhoe owners #8  
An Excursion is a 3/4 truck! You could pull plenty big enough trailer.

For much cheaper I do like the idea of the bag though. If I'm not mistaken they are commonly called "ton bags" and are very inexpensive, like less than $50.

/ Question for all backhoe owners #9  
Weld a receiver hitch on the fel and push the trailer where you need it. Then just raise the bucket up and you have a hydraulic dump trailer.

I've done this a few times and I'm still amazed how well it works.

/ Question for all backhoe owners #10  
You have a trailer. So put a ball on the loader and use it to pull the trailer as mentioned you can even use it to dump a good bit out of the trailer depending on how its built.

I normally use a dump truck but for some jobs where the truck cant go I use a smaller dump trailer hooked to an other tractor or a pick up truck.