Best attachment for filling and leveling trench

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #1  

Jorel7563

Tractor
John Deere 1025R
New to the tractor world and am still learning how to best use attachments. I have a 400 ft long trench that I need to fill and level in the yard. What's the best way to do this? Drag my bucket, use a rear blade, box blade, land plane, something else? I have the bucket and a rear blade.

Thanks scott

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #2  
wheres the dirt you are using to fill in the trench? If its beside it then just use your rear blade. If your pulling from a pile or from the surrounding area then you can use what you have but I would prefer a box blade

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #3  
Box blade for me. I always like to work at right angles to the trench. Back blading and pulling material into the trench the whole length then driving the direction of the trench, with the tires in the center to compact. You can smooth it out some after that but try to leave a little excess, it will settle in.

Last edited:
   / Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #4  
If you are using your bucket, fill it with dirt and don't dump it. Your wasting time by dumping it every pass. When it fills with dirt it acts more like a blade.

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #5  
Like shank102 asked, where's the dirt? This can make a HUGE difference with how this task is accomplished.

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #6  
When I did over 400' of trench, I had a rented trencher with front blade. Angled pushed it right in. One pass.

But then I had to return the trencher and I then used my boxblade rear blade to push the rest in backwards and at an angled. Once the pile was pushed into the trench I drove over it headon with box blade to level and smooth.

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #7  
Yes, it all depends on where the dirt is now. As mentioned, if it's along side, I'd use the back blade at a good angle to just roll it into the trench.

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench
Thanks guys. Dirt is along the side of the trench, but I will likely need to get more to fully fll it. If I understand the blade comment, I should pull it at right angles, or parallel to the trench?

/ Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #9  
Thanks guys. Dirt is along the side of the trench, but I will likely need to get more to fully fll it. If I understand the blade comment, I should pull it at right angles, or parallel to the trench?
With the size of your tractor, I doubt that you have an off settable rear blade. So with that being said, I would do your back-fill backing up just using the back side of the blade, moving a little at a time, but just moving along the trench.

Attachments

• P4070012.JPG
    P4070012.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 546
  • P4070011.JPG
    P4070011.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 386
   / Best attachment for filling and leveling trench #10  
If you can reach across the trench with the FEL you can pull the dirt in. That works well if you don't have great access and if there are a lot of rocks etc. as mentioned mound it a bit because it will settle.