Grading Landscape rake

/ Landscape rake #1  

RPK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 Cub Cadet 1554
Can anyone point me to a web site or explain the proper way to adjust a landscape rake. I have a 7' Landpride with caster wheels. For the most part I use it to dress up and grade a sandy beach. I always seem to dig in too deep. Thanks for any help.

RPK

/ Landscape rake #2  
lengthening the top link will make the angle of the teeth more aggressive or tend to dig deeper. You will need to balance the top link adjustment with the gauge wheel height to obtain the best results.

/ Landscape rake #4  
Some of the recent LR designs include a slot for top link connection like the EA.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1464834017.893101.jpg

If you have caster wheels you can easily set depth with the caster wheels and height of your lower 3-point arms and let top link float.

/ Landscape rake #5  
Do you need to run with the rake angled?

If not then I would suggest this:
  • Attach rake to 3pt hitch and raise up such tines just touch ground. You may need to remove pins/loosen bolts controlling wheel height.
  • Adjust top-link to level rake fore and aft.
  • Determine what depth you want the rack to go down. Grab a couple boards that match the depth. A 2x4 gives you either 1.5" or 3.5" for example.
  • Place boards under the already loosened gauge wheels and then secure wheels in place.
  • Do a short test run.
  • Adjust top link fine-tune depth.

/ Landscape rake #6  
Do you need to run with the rake angled?

If not then I would suggest this:
  • Attach rake to 3pt hitch and raise up such tines just touch ground. You may need to remove pins/loosen bolts controlling wheel height.
  • Adjust top-link to level rake fore and aft.
  • Determine what depth you want the rack to go down. Grab a couple boards that match the depth. A 2x4 gives you either 1.5" or 3.5" for example.
  • Place boards under the already loosened gauge wheels and then secure wheels in place.
  • Do a short test run.
  • Adjust top link fine-tune depth.

This way would be the best but I don't think it would work with a landpride. Unless they changed it recently, landpride gauge wheels use a series of bushings to control the height. ( think washers on plow shoes) You actually have to lift the rake all the way up to remove or add a bushing on either side to adjust the height.

/ Landscape rake #7  
Some of the recent LR designs include a slot for top link connection like the EA.

View attachment 470526

If you have caster wheels you can easily set depth with the caster wheels and height of your lower 3-point arms and let top link float.

X2 what he said:) or you can put a flexible link of some kind between your top link and the rake. Really works great for fine grading.

/ Landscape rake #8  
This way would be the best but I don't think it would work with a landpride. Unless they changed it recently, landpride gauge wheels use a series of bushings to control the height. ( think washers on plow shoes) You actually have to lift the rake all the way up to remove or add a bushing on either side to adjust the height.

Well that would certainly make it tedious.

/ Landscape rake #9  
X2 what he said:) or you can put a flexible link of some kind between your top link and the rake. Really works great for fine grading.

You can install one of these between rake and top link to get "float".

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465131502.401851.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465131516.136508.jpg

/ Landscape rake #10  

Unfortunately no on the bushings. I got my EA rake a few months ago and they system they use now is terrible. It's made of the two locking collars around the wheel's vertical shaft. Love the rake, but hate adjusting the gage wheels.