Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy.

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Regardless of what size tractor you own or will own . . grease is an integral part of tractor use . . tractor maintenance . . and regular cleanup of grease.

Unlike many other machines . . Motorcycles, jetskis, snowmobiles, even lawnmowers . . tractors require regular greasing of zirks in front end loaders, mower decks, the tractor itself, and many other implements.

Too little grease and you age your equipment . . too much grease and you have dirt catching and aging grease waiting to harden or color your hands, tools, and clothes.

Im hoping some of you might have some good insights in determining how often to grease items. Also some ideas on cleanup and choices of grease for different uses and purposes.

Here are some of mine.

A. When ever we get fast food and there are left over napkins . . instead of putting them in the trash I stick them in a large zip lock bag I keep in the truck. I use them liberally on large deposits of grease or oily items and then I switch to Grime Boss hand wipes for cleaning hands and finer deposits on equipment. Grime Boss wipes have heavy grease cutting ingredients even better than "orange cleaners" etc..

B. Blue Dawn works good for final phase hand cleaning and also when cleaning tooth brushes used to clean greasy tight spots etc..

I rarely use paper towels or cloth towels on grease because accumulated grease accumulates sand, grit and dirt.

I rarely use the cheapest grease because it seems to dry out faster around the zirks and doesn't hold up well from sun in my experience.

I'm planning on getting a couple locknload zirk connectirs because they are much easier to attach and detach from zirks.

Lastly, I'm not fond of cleaning equipment but I've found grease is a magnet for sand particles and grit and leaving that accumulation around bearing surfaces is just not healthy for the equipment . . So every 45 or 60 days I try to eliminate the excess accumulated grease (the very same grease that shows us we pumped in enough to stop). Odd isn't it . . We need it as an indicator yet leaving it there lobg term can cause problems.

Obviously others must have some good tricks and technics for greasing and grease cleanup . . lets hear em :)

Last edited:
   / Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #2  
my typing is bad but yours is worse... typing needs some grease...

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #3  
Obviously others must have some good tricks and technics for greading and grease cleanup . . lets hear em :)

I'm curious to hear thoughts too. Seems I am always wearing something clean when I brush up against a loader zerk and ruin yet another shirt. :laughing:

I used to throw out old worn undergarments and socks. Now, after a good final washing of course, they all end up in my grease crate for grease/oil clean up use and ultimate disposal. The only time it's weird is when it's really hot outside and my neigbors see my wiping sweat off my face with old shorts! :p

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #4  
the only way not to have mess is easy, don't use any grease

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #5  
the only way not to have mess is easy, don't use any grease

One better,,,,
I use water soluble grease,, grease the tractor, then wash the tractor,,, problem gone!!:thumbsup:

:D

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #6  
One better,,,,
I use water soluble grease,, grease the tractor, then wash the tractor,,, problem gone!!:thumbsup:

:D

Ya Right. k-Y is water soluble too but I don't think it would hold up to loading a couple yards of gravel.

Just sayen
B. John

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #7  
I've NEVER figured out how to grease everything on the tractor and not get greasy. I just try to keep it all below my elbows.

Grease rags - I used paper towels for years. My neighbor told me that Salvation Army sells rags by the box full. Soo.... last year I visited the SA and lo & behold they DO sell rags by the box. $5 for a 1/2 apple box sized box full. They convert unusable donated clothing into rags. Doesn't keep me from getting greasy but I sure like cloth rags better than paper towels.

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #8  
I keep a box of nitrile (replaced latex) gloves handy. I put a pair on, grease the tractor/bush hog/chipper (etc) and all is done without much hassle.

Medium fit me really well but are difficult to get on in if hands are sweaty. I now buy the large size.

I try to get a couple of shots of grease in each rotary cutter spot every time I use them, IF a few days have passed since last use OR every 10 hours (I rarely cut more than 10 hours in any weekend).

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #9  
I leave it on as a rust inhibitor..........

Gloves and wipe off any large globs with whatever is available.

/ Tractors and Grease . . how to make it less messy. #10  
For those of you who get grease on your clothes try using a hand cleaner on your clothes to remove the grease. There are plenty of hand cleaners for grease on the market. I apply swarfega ( with a paint brush) to the greasy area on the clothes then throw in wash on heavy duty cycle.
When you grease your machine ,just before the grease comes out to meet you there is a (usually, not always) "crackle" sound as the air is forced out of the joint being greased. Stopping at this point means less over greasing and less clean up.
I use leather gloves to keep my hands clean and it hurts a lot less when the gloves get nipped instead of my skin.