Slip Clutch maintenance.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I'm about to "burn in" the slip clutch on a bush hog that I doubt has ever been done.

If it won't slip, what should I do next?

Not tried it yet but don't want to come in to type with dirty hands. Would kinda like to get ahead of this if possible.

Thanks, in advance.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #2  
Go run over a fire ant hill. Tell me it won't slip...

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #3  
Hopefully it was adj correctly.. messeure springlenth and nota it . Then strip the slipclutchassy and remove all rust an loosen all discs . Reassy all and readjust to ariginal springlenth

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #4  
Getting a slip clutch on a BH to slip is a pain.I do mine every year;loosen the bolts and find a stout bush or small tree and force the slip;then retighten to spec.Roto-tiller is much easier.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #5  
So, did it slip?

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #6  
I loosen up my springs, then rev up to about 1500 and engage the PTO. The sudden shock of engagement vs the inertia of the blades easily breaks it loose. But then I'm pretty sure that the friction disc in my slip clutch is worn down to nothing. So YMMV.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance.
I got tied up with other things and didn't get the chance to try it. I want to have a couple of hours available...just in case.

Nothing worse than starting something like that and running out of time.

Thanks for the advice.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #8  
I would temporary replace the shear bolt with a grade 8. Engage the PTO at PTO RPM and drop the clutch. If that doesn't break it loose then it's time for plan b.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance. #9  
On my Landpride, I turn each bolt 2 revolutions and can easily slip it just by engaging the pto at low rpm for a few seconds. First, use a pencil and draw a line down each clutch disk to make sure they all rotate. If not off the line remove and free up, then reassemble based on specs measuring bolt length.

/ Slip Clutch maintenance.
The Landpride is easy. The bush hog is very old (93 model?).

All the recommendations are appreciated.

To 4570 man: I don't think it has a shear bolt, but will look, again. You mentioned "Plan B" That was really my main question in this thread, What is "Plan B".

What do I do if loosening the bolts doesn't let it slip? The manual simply says to "Contact your Bush Hog Dealer".

Thanks, all.