Gear box maintenance on mid mount mowers and other implements.

/ Gear box maintenance on mid mount mowers and other implements. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
I recently made a mistake to not put this thread on the General Owner/operating forum . . so I'm now correcting that error.

This topic can apply to all scuts and cuts that have a mmm

The gear box on a mmm. Its pretty easy to forget it when you're focused on the tractor engine and hydro servicing needs. And besides the mmm . . maybe there are other implements that you have a gear box and oil to be changed too.

Recently I drained the gear oil out of my mmm gear box (after about 40 hours of actual mowing use - manual recommends 50 hours) These gear boxes aren't large . . a quantity of about 13 oz. in my particular gearbox. I tipped the mmm up to a vertical position to make sure the 1st change was drained as much as possible. And a good thing I did. Lots of shiny fine grit . . Lots of it. Normally a very light honey color . . the color that came out was a deep gray and not transparent at all. Its natural after 40 hours of operation of a new mmm that it would have some with all the fine gears and surfaces. No pieces or chunks . . but did I mention LOTS of shiny grit in the oil.

Getting out contaminants and metal grit is important to eliminate wear on the gears as they spin fast . . and of course no filter to catch contaminates.

I put in a synthetic gear oil now. 13 oz deserves all the benefit it can get :) Especially when you figure it's another 150 or 200 hours to the next scheduled gear oil change time (but I will test ut sooner just to make sure.

I was surprised at just how much grit was in the oil. So have you thought to change your gear oil recently in your gear boxes ? I'm surprused at the result but sure glad I did it . . clean oil for machines is like clean water for us.

Last edited: