Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode?

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I bought a used tractor with rears loaded with windshield washer fluid. Granted, it's not calcium chloride and most people think it doesn't corrode but here are some rusty pics. Tires were loaded for "a couple" years I was told and look at the rot. Luckily, I caught it in time and dumped the fluid.

IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5069.JPG IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5075.JPG IMG_5076.JPG

I have written many times that, unless you live on a truly dangerous slope, use cast weights. They cost a little more but are removable and adjustable with no rotting of very expensive wheels.

My grinder has a rotary wire bush so I cleaned things up, primed lightly with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and lightly sprayed with flat black. New tires and tubes go on next week. I painted the edges of the wheel Kubota Orange II with a spray can and will spray the rest of the wheel after tires are mounted.

IMG_5085.JPG IMG_5089.JPG

Just an FYI here.

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #2  
Are you sure the used tractor didn't have CCL previously then switched to WW liquid?

I didn't think windshield washer liquid didn't rust painted steel, but what do I know.

I do know that my painted camper wheels rusted after 10 years with just air in them. It might be just some cheapo paint made in China that caused the rusting.

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode?
Are you sure the used tractor didn't have CCL previously then switched to WW liquid?

I didn't think windshield washer liquid didn't rust painted steel, but what do I know.

I do know that my painted camper wheels rusted after 10 years with just air in them. It might be just some cheapo paint made in China that caused the rusting.

I'm 100% sure only washer fluid and only a limited time. Dealer and hired hand confirmed it. The shop that dismounted them for me said this was the first ones they had done with WWF. Mine had tubes and are 16.9-30's.

He has done some beet juice ones and they must have been tubeless because he said the inside of the wheel was bright steel as though it had been sandblasted clean.

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #4  
I loaded pure methanol in my B2710 about 4 years, ran over a large nail last week, broke down the tire and the rim looked as good as when I loaded it. Mine are tubeless. The Rim and inside of the tire had a white chalky residue I cleaned up. Loaded the tire back with the methanol. Dealer put CC in the rears on my L45.

I wonder if the tube allowed air in-between the rim and tube causing the rust.

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #5  
If yours have tubes the WW fluid is inside the tube and didn't contact the rims. There must have been some water or some form of moisture between the tube and rim to cause the rust. Its possible a tube could have leaked allowing fluid and air to contact the rim allowing rust to form. Rust need moisture and air (an oxidizer) to form. I have WW fluid in my rears. The rims are completely submerged in fluid, only air is at the top above the rim so no air to form rust.

Last edited:
   / Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #6  
I couldn't get mine completely full and left an air bubble at the top but once the O2 in that bubble reacts with the rim there should be no more oxygen to cause rust.....
Funny how pex pipe needs an oxygen barrier when used in outdoor furnaces or else the oxygen will be constantly replaced thru osmosis..

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #7  
I couldn't get mine completely full and left an air bubble at the top but once the O2 in that bubble reacts with the rim there should be no more oxygen to cause rust.....
Funny how pex pipe needs an oxygen barrier when used in outdoor furnaces or else the oxygen will be constantly replaced thru osmosis..
j

Most filled tires are filled to the top of the rim while standing up. The rest of the space is for air and is needed for cushioning which provide a softer ride and protects the tire too.ssss

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #8  
We condemn ethanol in our motor fuels for it's corrosive properties, but then willingly put washer fluid in wheels? That is just contradictory!

Anti freeze! or chloride with proper valve stem maintainance

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #9  
If yours have tubes the WW fluid is inside the tube and didn't contact the rims. There must have been some water or some form of moisture between the tube and rim to cause the rust. Its possible a tube could have leaked allowing fluid and air to contact the rim allowing rust to form. Rust need moisture and air (an oxidizer) to form. I have WW fluid in my rears. The rims are completely submerged in fluid, only air is at the top above the rim so no air to form rust.

Same thing I wondered.

/ Think washer fluid in rear tires won't corrode? #10  
We condemn ethanol in our motor fuels for it's corrosive properties, but then willingly put washer fluid in wheels? That is just contradictory!

Anti freeze! or chloride with proper valve stem maintainance

The methanol itself is not corrosive, it is when it is exposed to the atmosphere then it can absorb water and that is when you get the corrosion. It must become saturated to the point of getting phase separation. Here is a wheel from my Ford tractor that had calcium chloride in it with a tube. You can see it is more rusted around the stem, either from a leaky core or someone checking it with the stem in the wrong position probably more than once.
I have cast weights and the washer fluid in new tires and tubes. The cast weights alone are not enough if you are pulling a hydraulic box blade. I got the rim new for a good price and saved the hub as you can see.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 439
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 376
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg