Tractor wont start with new battery and starter.

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #1  

jimmybigfoot

Tractor
DongFeng DF254
Hi I have a dong feng df254 which didn't start so I put a new battery, starter and glow plugs on. It cranks fast with the decompression lever open but when closed it stops turning over dead. What could this be? Any help would be much appreciated.

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #2  
Head gasket???

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #3  
How long has it been sitting unused? When did it last start properly? What happened between when it started and now?

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter.
It sometimes jumps but only just. It was jump started a month ago but it's been like this for about a year. It's parked under a hanger and is well serviced etc

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #5  
Maybe a hydro lock from a leaky injector? I'd be careful and not force it to turn over, like w a pull start attempt.
Jim

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #6  
So I understand if you jump start it by hooking up cables to another battery it will start? Were all these parts replaced at the same time? It seems that any liquid in the cylinders would be expelled during cranking with compression release open.

Last edited:
   / Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #7  
Sounds like the wrong battery or a week battery was installed. It's not delivering enough current (Amps) under a load. This could also be caused by dirty/corroded connections. I would expect a tractor with a 1.4L diesel engine to need a 500-600CCA battery.

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter.
Thanks guys I'm exploring the injectors. The battery is 790a

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #9  
Post a video for us to browse through. Or a link to one you post on Facebook or somewhere.

Steve

/ Tractor wont start with new battery and starter. #10  
In my opinion if it cranks with compresion release then will not turn when released its not hydro locked or head gasket possibly as stated bad battery or starter need to check amp draw when cranking