air compressor

/ air compressor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Can anyone suggest a 30 gallon air compressor that is cabable of running air tools like impact occsaional air drill and wired for 220 volt. I think 60 gallon would be over kill for what I need. A good heavy duty 3o gallon would do the job and easy to transport should we move. This will be for one person use. Looking for very depenable compressor.

/ air compressor #2  
What is your budget? I have been fortunate to source two used air compressors off Craigslist. Both were belt driven oiled compressors that worked fine. My 30 gallon was stolen so I had to purchase another one and a 60 gallon came available. Pretty much all compressors are very similar in specs within a specific price point and features. Some good shopping options are Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, ETC...along with online retailers. I have no experience with Harbor Freight compressors but they are gonna offer you a lower priced option than many stores. How good they are I have not clue. I would suggest staying away form oil less units unless you are going to use it sparingly.

/ air compressor
thanks for reply. I'll keep looking. I have been at looking at northern tool and air compressor direct.

/ air compressor #4  
I have this 30 gallon Powermate compressor:

3 Gallon, Industrial Air, Cast Iron Single Stage, Oil Lubricated Belt Drive Air Compressor

I bought it in September 2005 at Northern Tool for $536.08, including tax. It's used almost daily and on 110 volt, although you could change it to 220v if you wished. It came with a Parts Manual as well as the Operator Manual. My primary use is with one of my blow guns to clean everything from my electric razor to string trimmer to lawnmower to vacuum cleaners, but I also use my 1/2" impact wrench at times.

It's interesting that copying the web page says "3" gallon instead of "30" but it is a 30 gallon compressor.

/ air compressor #6  
   / air compressor #7  
I have a Sears Craftsman 4hp with twin cylinders that is belt driven. They still make ones like this one too. It's been around since 1984 so it's almost 30 years old. They made good compressors back then and I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from them today.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_949834312?hei=2000&wid=2000&op_sharpen=1

Mine is similar to the one shown laying down. The compressor end looks exactly the same.

Steve

/ air compressor #8  
Why when I click on your link it justs goes back to this page? Anyone know?

It worked for me just now. The Northern Tool web site is notoriously slow opening up, maybe that is the problem. Maybe if you open "northerntool.com" on another tab it will act as a road map for your computer. Then click on my link.

/ air compressor #10  
Home Depot and Lowes both have several 30 gallon compressors but all the ones I see run on 120V not the 220V you want. I have their 80 gallon compressor in my shop and consider it a good unit.

Bolting/Wrenching - Portable Air Compressors - Air Compressors - Air Compressors, Tools & Accessories - The Home Depot

Bigtillers link to northern doesn't work for me either. Brings me back to this page. The link below for Northern works.

Northern Tool has 2 portable compressors that are dual voltage 120/230.

21 Gallon + Above Air Compressors | Portable Air Compressors | Air Tools + Compressors | Northern Tool + Equipment

Last edited: