Mowing Clearing the radiator of debris

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #21  
After reading thru, how about this: clean it up good, then use a gas leaf blower as needed. I use a 24" wand and shop air, and I doubt if a 5 gal. portable tank could really do the job out in the field, certainly not more than one time.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #22  
I don't have a leaf blower because I don't need one. To me it sounds like one of the better ways to get the rad clean when there is no air compressor close by. It doesn't work for caked oil though. What I use is a solvent gun with varsol for oil and the same with water for really caked dirt. I have a commercial compressor (Starts at 120 psi and quits at 150 psi) that really gets the dirt with a good air nozzle. (Read not safety style).

I can see why the recommendation comes to never use water. But on caked dirt you have no choice. You need to soften the dirt.

I will use a pressure washer if I have too. The rad comes out of the tractor and rests against something and I don't spray from any closer than about 2 feet. Also never use a pressure washer on the fins at an angle. Always from straight on.

Hope this helps someone.

PS. A 12 volt electric leaf blower sounds ideal.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #23  
My daughter just had her A/C evaporator coil cleaned. The tech showed us before/after pics. The difference was amazing. I don't know what kind of chemical/detergent he used, but it did not involve compressed air or any significant amount of water. Maybe one of our resident HVAC techs can comment, or give your local HVAC supply shop a call to see what they sell the most of.

Ac men use a solution which enters the core then begins to expand and push the dirt out. I had a guy clean one in my office at work once. (Large wall style unit) He was explaining to me how you have to wear gloves, but he was not affected by it. That night he was in the emergency room getting saline injected under his finger nails.:eek:

Last edited:
   / Clearing the radiator of debris #24  
What about pulling the dirt out the way it came in with a shop vac?

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #25  
I bought a 2003 Kawasaki ATV that would get hot quickly, and found the radiator 80%+ completely full of the "cement" described when water and dust mix. It's not the end of the world, but is a huge PITA--and part of the deal with ATV's--water and dust mix on most recreational rides. I had to get access to the front and back of the screen, and began with compressed air from the back out. Might of got 1/3 opened, but still caked in corners and harder access areas. When air wouldn't budge anything else, it got the garden hose, and more came out, but on inspection--still very much obstructed. After water, compressed air got minimally more out.
Long story short, I decided to clean the radiator on the other ATV (nowhere near as bad) so I'd be forced to allow radiator#1 soak with a simple green detergent solution. I then alternated from one radiator to the next, allowing the detergent to work on one grill while I went at the other. Soak, rinse, blow out, repeat until water and air come through clean, and the radiator passes visual inspection. It took 4-5 applications, soaks, rinses, and blasts from the compressor before I got to open aluminum in all areas.
Compressed air #1, garden hose #2, garden sprayer & detergent #3. I'd get debris out using the water hose, but also got a surprising amount out with just the pressurized detergent from the sprayer. The narrow stream seemed to get into spaces the water hose would fill and protect with turbulence from the cascade of water coming down instead of going through.
I had never seen a radiator so bad--as far as coating the fins with a hydrophobic compound--I don't believe debris is homogenous enough to repel it with a charged or uncharged surface when its getting blasted into, over, and through the fins. Don't know you want to cover your heat exchanger with anything that could impede transfer either.
Do be careful--air and water can both damage a radiator with very little pressure.
Once you've opened it up, compressed air from behind should be all you need for PM.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #26  
If you could get a bag around it it could soak much easier.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #27  
I have to admit I'm one of those people that cleans their radiator with a water hose, and it work great for me. I usually start out with compressed air, but it won't blow out heavy accumulations. I just use a regular garden hose with a spray handle and go at it. Maybe I spray enough to get it all out, maybe I get most of it out with the air hose.

Either way, it works for me.

Good luck and take care.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #28  
I've never thought about cleaning the radiator on my tractor in the 20 years I've had it. My JD 870 has a hood around the battery, air cleaner, and radiator with very small perforations. It does plug with dust and seeds, so I clear it when needed with a broom or old paint brush. There is also a removable screen right in front of the radiator that I take out and bang clean on the floor once a year or so. Seems to me good design solves many of these issues.

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #29  
I've done the same as brown40's method except i use Purple power. It's great at getting the crud out of everything including the grease that lays around on the tractor too. Spray on and wash off with soap and water. A regular air cleaning with a cheap Harbor freight air extender nozzle works great on the rad. The heavy cleaning is done only once every year or two.

Steve

/ Clearing the radiator of debris #30