If I was a barn builder

/ If I was a barn builder #11  
One thing to consider is the architectural aspect of pole barns etc. It seems all companies need their own architects.

I had two pole barns put up by different companies and every little change needed to go through their architectural department and reconfigured. Some changes were not much more than adding a couple extra boards, but then others needed truss sizes changed to accommodate span and load changes.

/ If I was a barn builder
Pole barns down here are an pretty simple design. Most are 30x30x10 up to 40x60x16 on the high end. Options are lean-to or gable extensions and Windows or doors. Not trying to become a barndaminium contractor or custom home builder. Just build something like this (stolen from my thread)

Brett

2BC034E2-93B5-40F2-8B2E-28005F333CC1_zpsiodadhu0.jpg

/ If I was a barn builder #13  
That would be great because doing both wears you out. If I only had to be gone 10 days a month and was home at night the rest of the time, I'd be happy and so would my family

Brett

I was trying to jovially say is that a successful a entrepreneurial is readily available to work 16 hour days and 7 days a week to grow their business. If this is unacceptable, the business adventure may not be successful.

I don't know what you are trying to say in this post.

/ If I was a barn builder
I was trying to jovially say is that a successful a entrepreneurial is readily available to work 16 hour days and 7 days a week to grow their business. If this is unacceptable, the business adventure may not be successful.

I don't know what you are trying to say in this post.

Haha. I work 100 hrs per week. If I could get this going id be able to drop 36 hrs which would be a huge reduction. I just want to work my 10 24-hr days a month away from home and be home every night the rest of the days. I'm not afraid of work nor the commitment but being home at night would be great.

Brett

/ If I was a barn builder #15  
If you have the skill set for such an endeavor,,, why have you waited until now?
Refinance your house, and everything else you own, throw your money into it,,,
and go to work!!:thumbsup:

/ If I was a barn builder #16  
would you recommend a carpenter go put out fires with no training , just the experience of watching the pros put out a fire. if you had a bad experience as a 1 time consumer how easy do you think it is to do multiple projects ? as a contractor / builder I can tell you we don't like or respect the guys who want to be a general contractor ,driving around in there car. if you want to build barns work for a builder for a few years and learn how to build and everything involved from the inside out , then buy a bunch of tools and a tractor and all terrain lift and a truck and trailer to haul it all and a building to store it when not on a jobsite and insure it all. then go out and sell a product you can stand behind just hiring subs is not a good idea or that easy there is a reason we are called independent contractors.

I'm a Licensed General Contractor, 35 years. I would love to be a fire fighter, can't be that hard, and I wouldn't let all them buildings burn down like the fire dept does... It is that easy, ? Right...

/ If I was a barn builder #17  
If you have the skill set for such an endeavor,,, why have you waited until now?
Refinance your house, and everything else you own, throw your money into it,,,
and go to work!!:thumbsup:

Don't forget the cash on hand to complete several jobs ( 250 to 400 K ) should do it, so you can buy materials, pay your crews, pay your own bills, and Uncle Sam, while you wait to be paid by the client. Because, the Boss's money always comes last.

/ If I was a barn builder #18  
If you are using contractors your work wil only be as good as they are. If you don't stay on top of them they will get sloppy. I suspect this is what happened to you. Construction is a skilled trade but it isn't rocket science. There is tons of competition and if you don't know your stuff you will get eaten for lunch. I have nothing to do with the construction industry but I built two barns myself. It isn't overly difficult and there are not a lot of barriers to entry. My point is you will be competing with a bunch of people who have tons more experience than you. Personally I would not do it until you have worked for someone else and built a dozen or so barns so that you have a firm grasp on what you are doing. I hired out building a 25x50 a couple of weeks ago. Well I say that I did all the concrete and welding myself and had someone else put the tin on. They did it in ten hours. I could have done it but it would have taken me days because I don't know all the tricks.

I have been self employed for ten years and my advice is unless you are darn good at what you do don't go out on your own because it won't be pretty. I am not trying to brag but I consider myself an expert in my field. I really don't know many people better than me at it. I started my business and I clean house because I know my stuff and others can't compete. I have been doing it nearly 25 years and know the business inside and out. Some new guy that doesn't know jack tries to enter my world he won't make it. My wife always talks about we should get into this business of that business and I always decline because I know trying to do something I know little about will lead to failure.

/ If I was a barn builder #19  
If you can work a year, pay material and labor out of pocket without collecting large deposits and draws on incomplete jobs (your money is after expenses) and put ALL of your profits back into the business, survive off what the wife makes, run your jobs from the Fire Department without a trusted employee (eyes on site), pay taxes on those profits (can't use anything as a tax deduction unless making a profit) and do this for several years- You might make it work.

Been Contracting for 25 years, seen many a good man lose everything trying to contract full time part time with no skin in the game.

/ If I was a barn builder #20  
I agree with the last three posters. Better have a big stack of cash on hand and experience to know who is screwing you and how. Organizational skills are great, but you have to know what's what.

What other skills do you have that could be made into a business? I don't get the impression from your first post that you have construction experience. Perhaps I missed something. Not trying to insult. Everything seems easy from the outside.