Mowing 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500 #1  

nebraskasparks

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
Traded 2009 JD X500 for new Simplicity Prestige due to Suspension brackets and bolts on 54 inch Deck on JD X500 replaced for third time. Plastic hood on JD developed cracks. Prestige is metal. Love the ride and power steering with the Prestige. Has a slight horsepower increase than JD with similar K72 transmission. No problem cutting up hill while towing DR leaf and grass collector. JD was the same. Plenty of power and traction with both tractors.The cut of the Simplicity is definitely a step up from X500. 52 inch welded deck built very strong and operates at higher speed resulting in finer cut. Break in issues. Rattling sound when brake is released...warranty replaced belt and adjustments made. Quieter now. Throttle came out of dash at 10 hours as overcenter clips not installed properly. Warranty took care of this also. Not off to a smooth start. Anything else I need to know? If these are the only two fixes...should be a good mower.

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500 #2  
Congrats on the new Simplicity. I am also looking and it looks to me that JD and Simplicity seem to be the only garden tractors that have the full one-up of Tuff Torq transaxles available. I think I prefer the K72 also which kind of puts the JD x590 and the Simplicity Prestige at the top of my list. Local JD dealership is not one of my favorites but the Simplicity dealership seems excellent. Also like the financing on the Simplicity...JD only does the no interest 5 year on the x7xx series and I prefer to keep the physical size a small as practical...seems like the K72 only comes on large tires...but the k92 comes on even larger tires. I primarily want the strength of the "better" Tuff Torq as well as external oil filter and diff lock (w/switch/pedal)...I am sure that the K72 is a bit of overkill and the k92 with the larger front and rear tires that seem to go with it is both overkill and not needed.

I will probably add wheel weights and chains to the back tires unless I get the 4wd. I want the added strength as I mow quite a bit of uneven terrain and have been known to occasionally run into ground interference...such a roots/tops of rocks/old stump remnants etc. All are a bit beat down now and I "promise" to work harder to avoid :)...especially with an expensive new mower.

Actually, my most vulnerable "parts" are spindles/belts/blades on the deck as well as a bit of lower end deck suspension parts. Not sure if the Prestige has a front "bumper" accessory?...don't see one on the web site. Also, do you have a feel for the Simplicity deck components vs the JD similar components?

Good luck with the new mower...TMR

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500
Thanks for the info. I've already modified and added a universal hitch on the back. Why Simplicity doesn't have one is beyond me for the horsepower and transmission it has. I checked the linkage on the Prestige and it's definitely built better than my X500. I wasn't disappointed in the X500 but the mower deck deck suspension cheap hardware threw me over the edge and that's when I went shopping. The dealer I use is extremely straight forward and gave me blue book on my X500 which sold within a few days. I do take care of my machines. Dates and hours written on the replaceable filters , battery etc. I would have kept the JD had it not been for the deck. Now we are spoiled with power steering and shocks that make the ride that much smoother. We'll see how she holds up! Thanks again for the reply.

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500 #4  
Congrats on the new Simplicity. I am also looking and it looks to me that JD and Simplicity seem to be the only garden tractors that have the full one-up of Tuff Torq transaxles available. I think I prefer the K72 also which kind of puts the JD x590 and the Simplicity Prestige at the top of my list. Local JD dealership is not one of my favorites but the Simplicity dealership seems excellent. Also like the financing on the Simplicity...JD only does the no interest 5 year on the x7xx series and I prefer to keep the physical size a small as practical...seems like the K72 only comes on large tires...but the k92 comes on even larger tires. I primarily want the strength of the "better" Tuff Torq as well as external oil filter and diff lock (w/switch/pedal)...I am sure that the K72 is a bit of overkill and the k92 with the larger front and rear tires that seem to go with it is both overkill and not needed.

I will probably add wheel weights and chains to the back tires unless I get the 4wd. I want the added strength as I mow quite a bit of uneven terrain and have been known to occasionally run into ground interference...such a roots/tops of rocks/old stump remnants etc. All are a bit beat down now and I "promise" to work harder to avoid :)...especially with an expensive new mower.

Actually, my most vulnerable "parts" are spindles/belts/blades on the deck as well as a bit of lower end deck suspension parts. Not sure if the Prestige has a front "bumper" accessory?...don't see one on the web site. Also, do you have a feel for the Simplicity deck components vs the JD similar components?

Good luck with the new mower...TMR

For rough ragged terrain the full width rear roller deck is not the best to use as the rollers will catch on stuff,especially backing up.If you're considering 4wd a Kubota GR would be a better choice-very rugged deck/drive components.The Prestige 4wd is a poorly designed tractor with a horrible turning radius-don't go there. I've built a bumper/lift point on a Prestige but a bit tricky the way the hood tilts forward and the brackets were tough to mount to the frame on each side.. On a GR it's a simple process.

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500 #5  
Thanks for the info. I've already modified and added a universal hitch on the back. Why Simplicity doesn't have one is beyond me for the horsepower and transmission it has. I checked the linkage on the Prestige and it's definitely built better than my X500. I wasn't disappointed in the X500 but the mower deck deck suspension cheap hardware threw me over the edge and that's when I went shopping. The dealer I use is extremely straight forward and gave me blue book on my X500 which sold within a few days. I do take care of my machines. Dates and hours written on the replaceable filters , battery etc. I would have kept the JD had it not been for the deck. Now we are spoiled with power steering and shocks that make the ride that much smoother. We'll see how she holds up! Thanks again for the reply.

Is your universal hitch a sleeve hitch? A tractor with coil over shocks is a great idea.

/ 2016 Simplicity Prestige replaces John Deere X500
No sleeve hitch just 5/8 inch hole to accept trailer hitch ball and another 1/2 inch hole for pin. Just light towing for log splitter, trailer , hay wagon etc.