RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #1  

mattdc123

Tractor
kubota rtv
As stated in the title, i was unscrewing the drain bolt underneath the muffler to do the maintenance in the manual. And halfway out the bolt head broke off. Was wondering how big of a deal this is. Im not seeing a way to take off the muffler, but maybe i didn't look close enough. Is there another to clean off the spark arrestor? Thank you

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #2  
You need to get a left handed drill bit and a center punch. Punch the center of the broken bolt and start drilling. It may come out. If not then get an EZ out and extract it that way. If it is really tough to come out may need to apply some heat.

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #3  
It isn't much of an issue. Just get a drill and drill it out. I removed my screen and tossed it. I don't plan to take mine to any national forest so it isn't needed. If you want to keep the screen, drill out the old bolt, remove the screen (it slides out), clean the carbon off and then install a larger self tapping screw in the hole.

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #4  
BTY, there is no other way to clean the screen. It is just a short section of fine mesh about 3 inches long that slide up in the exhaust pipe.

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #5  
mig weld a nut to the bolt and screw it out. there will be rust on the end of the bolt which makes it tight. wd40 or inox and work it a bit too.

/ RTV x1100C spark arrestor bolt broke #6  
It isn't much of an issue. Just get a drill and drill it out. I removed my screen and tossed it. I don't plan to take mine to any national forest so it isn't needed. If you want to keep the screen, drill out the old bolt, remove the screen (it slides out), clean the carbon off and then install a larger self tapping screw in the hole.

Out here in the West, most states require a spark arrestor. Since fire season started a few weeks ago if you are doing anything in any lands (about anything with trees and not farmland) in the Oregon Department of Forestry fire protection district, you need axe, shovel and water or fire extinguisher. As things get drier they go from 1-2 and 3 hour firewatch and then start cutting all operations off at 1PM and can resume after 8PM.

So since he is in Chiloquin (East side of Cascades) and already in fire season, telling him to toss the spark arrestor as it is not needed is poor advice.

David