wheel fell off tractor i just bought

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #1  

wango tango

Silver Member
hey all, i bought a 2012 JD 4720 with a cab and FEL with 520 hours about 1.5 months ago from a local JD dealer. Saturday while using it (probably the 3rd time) the front left tire fell off. It ruined the wheel and ruined my plans...lots of scrambling, cussing and the sorts. You guys know the deal.

I have a bit of heartburn on this as the dealer wouldn't budge on the price - I paid full asking price, the salesman justifying it because they do a full service to the machines.

wouldn't torquing wheels be on the checklist for EVERY machine they sell? just seems that should not have happened. i doubt the dealer will want to buy me a new wheel. wondering how i should approach this, and with who at the dealer.

aggravating.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #2  
I would start with the service manager.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #3  
It is a used tractor. Probably without warranty. I doubt that they re torqued the wheels and bolts. Most of the time they will service the engine with fluids, blow out the air filter, perhaps change the fuel filter, and air up the tires. Unless it was a recent trade and they told you that they had not done a service on the tractor and it was sold as is. My new Workmaster has witness marks on the wheel bolts so I know that the dealer checked them before delivery.

I would contact the service manager and see if they could "help me out" on the situation. Attitude is everything. If sold without warranty they don't have to do anything. If you approach it in the right way you have a better chance for their help.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #4  
I would hope (Expect) the dealership to go out of their way to fix the issue and compensate you for the headache, just give them the opportunity. Attached is a snapshot of the dealership check list that was in the back of my owners manual. Good Luck.

Attachments

• JD Check.JPG
    JD Check.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 313
   / wheel fell off tractor i just bought #5  
That obviously should never have happened on a newly bought machine. Whenever I jump on y tractor and am driving it I glance at bolts, fittings, lines and whatever else that may come loose to prevent that sort of thing.

The wheel may have been torqued which I doubt, but if the holes were oblonged or the bolts stretched and a torque wouldn't hold anyway.

What to do now. I would get a new wheel and a good torque wrench. Retread the holes so it is almost like new. Go through all your studs and put blue Loctite on them and retorque them. They will stay put, but as a precaution, keep and eye on them.

I put Locktite on mine after a couple came loose after fixing the holes, and they are still great after another 500 hours.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought
I'm more worried about the $$$ I'm out, after dropping a significant amount of money (and full asking price) on a gently used 2012, and having the assurance it was fully serviced.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #7  
they don't seem to care about losing a repeat customer or your money

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #8  
. . . i doubt the dealer will want to buy me a new wheel. wondering how i should approach this, and with who at the dealer. . . .

they don't seem to care about losing a repeat customer or your money

Apparently, he hasn't talked to the dealer yet so it's too early to say the dealer doesn't care. If you're referring to the dealer checking the bolts, it could have just been a mistake by a service department guy. Let's not indict the dealer until we hear his response to this problem.

Legally, the dealer has no obligation here, IMO. Morally, he should make this right.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #9  
How was it able to "fall off"? Did you find all the lugs? Were they stripped out ? Did you reverse the wheels to change the front track ? How did you miss the signs of a very loose wheel (Steering leads and pull), wobble ride motions, very noisy, odd looking tire marks in the field, missing lugs on delivery. What was the condition of the other wheels?

I'm finding it hard to believe the wheel just "fell off" without notice, even if it was mis-piloted. Mine squeak like crazy if a lug was loose.

/ wheel fell off tractor i just bought #10  
I would hope (Expect) the dealership to go out of their way to fix the issue and compensate you for the headache, just give them the opportunity. Attached is a snapshot of the dealership check list that was in the back of my owners manual. Good Luck.

That's on a new machine, when i bought my used 07, they were checked off from the 1st time buyer.

Ronnie