Too much work for a compact tractor?

/ Too much work for a compact tractor?
So, the radiator and the HST lines being the same "feel" is good? Man, I've got to get a temp sensor!

I normally keep the engine at 2,000rpm when working. 2,400rpm is the max recommended according to the dial. I very seldom get black smoke when running it hard at that rpm - normally I'll break traction first.

Or replace sensor and add a guage instead. I don't know how much housing temp means rather than fluid temp.

That'd be a good addon. Another thing to tinker with!

/ Too much work for a compact tractor? #23  
So, the radiator and the HST lines being the same "feel" is good? Man, I've got to get a temp sensor!

I normally keep the engine at 2,000rpm when working. 2,400rpm is the max recommended according to the dial. I very seldom get black smoke when running it hard at that rpm - normally I'll break traction first.

That's pretty much correct! Some folks estimate only 85% of the engine's power is transferred through an HST drivetrain; the rest is lost to heat resulting from mechanical inefficiency. I personally don't think it's that much, but there is definitely enough that it gets really warm. With mine, I know when things are getting too hot because hydraulic operation, particularly with the loader, becomes erratic, and there is an aroma of hot fluid. But with both my small and large tractors (both HST), you about have to run them like a crazy person to reach that point, or allow the cooling system to get clogged with debris.

As long as the engine is not overheating, the HST is functioning normally and you're not one of those "crazy persons", it's quite unlikely you've got an overheating problem with the HST. There are countless numbers of those small Kubotas out there, and cooking the HST from ordinary operation isn't something you hear about.

By all means measure the temps to satisfy your concerns. Particularly, compare what it reads under "normal" operations and what you get in severe use. If your "severe use" is indeed making it get too hot, you've established that slowing your work pace down would be a good thing.

/ Too much work for a compact tractor? #24  
Take a cup of water and toss it on the lines some day when it is really hot. Does the water instantly boil away or just evaporate? If it is below boiling then it is not TOO hot...
Our local big box store often has infra red guns for under $40. I bought one for the shop but my SW keeos it in the kitchen for making yoghurt...

/ Too much work for a compact tractor? #26  
   / Too much work for a compact tractor? #27  
Are you running in the lowest range, so the HST is at minimum in / out rpm differential?

Hello compact. It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm working hard pulling heavy things I'm in low range with high rpms. If I'm moving an empty trailer, I'm in high gear, but that's not when it cooks. Also, I have been looking for a thermal camera. Found a really good one for the price, but still expensive. They also dont have a huge temp range. The regular IR spot temps do though.

/ Too much work for a compact tractor? #29  
I've worked on heavy equipment in the early 90's. We had some occasions where the hydraulic system needed some extra cooling. But only when it got over 90 degree Celsius, that compares to 194 farenheit.
Can you still touch and hold on to 194?
The problem here isn't the shear point of the oil, it's the O-Rings. If the system runs continuously hot, the O-rings get hard and crack.
I agree with the others. Don't fix which ain't broke.