Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #1  

arthurb

Silver Member
Tractor
Toro WH 520XI
I was looking at the 5252 model of the new Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors the other day. It has a 25 hp Kohler gas engine and a hydrostatic tranny with hi/low range. It's a 2WD with a differential lock rear end. I'm looking for experienced opinions. Would this subcompact handle pushing snow with a rear blade and with chains and rear wheel weights? One dealer told me no, and another dealer said yes. My driveway is only 20'x80'. I live in Northeastern Ohio, and we do receive a lot of lake effect snow from Lake Erie between November and January. I have three acres of grass to cut on relatively flat ground. I know that this series of subcompact has two other model choices with two other engines and 4WD. Cub Cadet is offering a special price right now on the model 5252 with a 60"mmm for $7499.00. The price fits my budget to a T. Thank you for all and any opinions.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #2  
I've no experience with the 5000 series Cubs, but I do have a 2wd Cub 1862 which is a garden tractor. I also have a New Holland TC24D which is a step up in size from the Cub 5000 and has 4wd.

My experience with the Cub is that it has minimal traction, despite the 75 pound wheel weights and chains. I use it with a front mount snow blower and the tractor still will spin its tires on my asphalt driveway in the winter. But despite that, it is a GREAT snow blowing machine with the front mount snowblower.

My experience with the 4x4 New Holland and a rear blade in the winter is that when the snow is heavy the entire tractor will simply skid sideways when the load on the blade becomes too much. With a 60" rear mount snowblower on the 3pt hitch, the NH will clear anything that winter will throw its way.

If I was you, I would consider the Cub 5000s but not with a blade on the rear. I would strongly recommend a front mount blower if they are not cost prohibitive, or a standard rear mount snow blower as a more economical choice. I think either would be a much better choice than a rear blade to remove snow.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #3  
I am a cub cadet dealer, but we choose not to carry the 5000 compacts. There are a few reasons for it. The first and foremost is financing options, Cub Cadet does not have the kind of programs that Kubota/NH/Deere can offer. Second is that its an MTD made product and they don't exactly make the best stuff out there. Our concern was the gas engine models. Its a descent idea of offer gas for people who don't want to move to diesel. However for the cost of what your paying to begin with and the type of work thats usually done its money well spent to move to diesel. There are some minor design flaws, mainly the linkage for the loader runs right past the tires and the underside of the tractor behind the tires is open allowing for dirt and mud to get packed in under the seat area.

Don't get me wrong, for some people I think it maybe a good fit. If these things don't phase you by all means pick one up. I banged a few around and it did seem like a nice tractor and I do like the looks.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #4  
I would look at the 4wd drive option since you are already willing to spend the money, might as well go the full distance...
They are very cost effective to begin with and anything offered by other mfg's are more money...

Duc

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #5  
Let me try to help - I have used the following machines on my paved, flat circle driveway:

Simplicity garden tractor, front blade & blower, 1,000 lbs: good front plowing snow up to about 6" depending on density. With weights and chains does not get easily stuck unless snow gets deep. Unstoppable with front blower - even over 1ft of snow.

Kubota B6000 2wd with back blade, 1,400lbs - this is most similar to your proposed setup. I was always able to plow by driveway, but when it gets deep and heavy I would get pushed sideways. Lots of use of diff. lock pedal. In light snow I would pull the blade going forward -heavy snow, going backwards (stiff neck).

Mitsu Beaver 2wd with FEL, 1800 lbs - this is also similar in size and weight with the Cub 5000. I noticed that using the FEL to plow the snow caused significant spinning, even with 250lb weight on the back. Got the job done, but backing away from a pile always resulted in spinning. Next winter I will have the R1 tires filled with fluid for more traction.

Hope this helps - bottom line, it will work - but if you can pony up the big bucks for either 4wd or the blower, it will make a big difference in deeper snow. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am a cub cadet dealer, but we choose not to carry the 5000 compacts. There are a few reasons for it. The first and foremost is financing options, Cub Cadet does not have the kind of programs that Kubota/NH/Deere can offer. Second is that its an MTD made product and they don't exactly make the best stuff out there. )</font>

Well let me be the first to say this to you then, maybe you shouldnt be a Cub dealer than with that poor attitude...Most of the models are made by MTD...so whats your point then?

Plenty of dealers in your area that are happy with the line...
I would buy from then first, and stop by and tell you that....

Duc

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #7  
A good friend of mine has a 3000 series Cub. He blows a 900' driveway in Maine with it. He said the wheel weights alone weren't enough, so he added suitcase weights as well. Those did the trick. At TBN, we LOVE to spend other peoples' money, but only you know where you have to draw the line. EVERYTHING is "only a few thousand $$ more...". If what you have set in your mind, is a 2WD gas 5000 series. get it, but get the extra weight. I wouldn't throw a loader on it though. The 2wD on that light of a tractor will disappoint you I think. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well let me be the first to say this to you then, maybe you shouldnt be a Cub dealer than with that poor attitude )</font>

Duc, it sounds like you've never run a retail business. No matter what your product or brand, there are usually certain items or models that are just not as good as the rest of the line, and you may choose to not "carry" those particular items or models. Personally, I'd never try to sell something I didn't believe in myself. And I think you'll find many tractor dealers (as with dealers for any other product) do not "carry" (i.e., "stock") particular models. And you'll probably find very few dealers for any company that stock every item that company manufactures.

Personally, when I worked in retail businesses, I've had requests for items we didn't stock, and would tell the customer why we didn't stock that item; that we could order it if the customer was sure that's what he wanted, but that we couldn't recommend it. Lots of our members on this forum are strong believers in Snap-On tools, and they're fine tools, but there's one particular model of half inch impact that some Snap-On dealers don't want to sell, and when I was in the business of repairing air tools, I quickly learned to turn down any requests for repairs on that model because there's no way it would ever have the power the customer expected.

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #9  
<font color="blue"> Well let me be the first to say this to you then, maybe you shouldnt be a Cub dealer than with that poor attitude...</font>

Ouch!

Let me be the second [I think Bird was the first] to say...

What poor attitude? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think MessickFarmEqu has the right attitude. Both because he gave an honest answer here, and for the reasons Bird mentioned.

The last thing I want is someone selling me something they don't believe in, only because they do believe in taking money out of my pocket and maybe nothing more...Now that's a poor attitude in my book!

/ Cub Cadet 5000 series subcompact tractors #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A good friend of mine has a 3000 series Cub. He blows a 900' driveway in Maine with it. He said the wheel weights alone weren't enough, so he added suitcase weights as well. Those did the trick. )</font>

I have a 3000 series with the blower suitcase weights & the wheel weights and vbar chains...it throws the snow up to 70 ft
I have picture of that in the Cub forum...BUT its not a sub compact or 5000 series...huge difference

The price difference between the 2wd and 4wd is about $500 so it not a huge jump...it should be considered

Duc