Tires Turf tires to ag tires

/ Turf tires to ag tires #1  

cperky

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025r with 120r front end loader, Hustler zero turn mower
My MF-1140 has turf tires on currently. I am debating putting ag tires on the rear. I do have a finishing mower that I use on a reguler basis to mow around the house. I have been wondering how much damage would the ag tires would do in the yard if I only change the rear tires. I also have some hilly land that I want to brush hog but have been a little nervous about tracton with the turf tires. Are there any what I call tweeners (tires that are better than turf but not necessarily ag tires) that you would suggest for my uses? I also use my BB and am going to have a rototiller in the near future

/ Turf tires to ag tires #2  
You can go to the R4 industrial tires. They have a less aggressive tread on them and don't do nearly the damage that R1 ags can do, but have more traction than turfs. I don't know the MF1140, but if it's 4 wd, you will need to replace all four tires, not just the rears as the tractor is geared for certain sized tires, and you can damage the drive train because of 4 WD lead / lag. Check your owners manual for the different tire sizes, or MF's website. The front tires on 4WD must be a certain circumference in relation to the rears in order for all to be well, so make sure you check this out. If it's 2WD, there shouldn't be a problem. I have R4's and for the most part, am very happy with them. They don't do much damage to my turf unless very wet and I do repetitive back and forth in the same area. Most of the time I have enough traction for what I'm doing. Hope this helps, John
CK20 Shots

/ Turf tires to ag tires #3  
I drive on the lawn all the time with R1s. It is not a problem unless the ground is pretty damp. Even if it is the tracks eventually go away, it just takes longer. If you do happen to spin them you will make huge divots though.

/ Turf tires to ag tires #4  
I have a set of chains that I put on over my turfs when I want some extra traction. They work great in sticky mud as they clear themselves pretty good.

I only went with regular chains, but you could go with the kind with the spikes/teeth for even more ground-grabbing ability.

Much cheaper than a new set of tires and they come off easy when I don't want to rip things up.

- Rick

/ Turf tires to ag tires #5  
On my previous 2WD I switched the rears to R4's and it was like night / day as far as traction. I spec'd my 4Wd with R4's and they are the best compromise tire you will find. R1's will do fine on turf also as mentioned above, but with either the turf can be messed up if you're not carefull.
I like the R4's also because they are much smoother on pavement than R1's.
As mentioned in a previous post... if your machine is 4WD the tires (front / rear) are matched. It WILL tear up the tractor if the correct tire sizes are not put on!

/ Turf tires to ag tires #6  
I would definitely not use my JD4310 with R4's as a finish mower. Regardless of dryness, it would tear up the lawn on turns. When just pulling a wagon across the turf I'm careful not to turn sharply. Don't know if your machine weighs as much. Also, if your machine is 4WD enquire with the dealer, I'm told on 4WD they should all be same type.

/ Turf tires to ag tires
Thanks for the input and keep it comming!! My tractor is a two wheel drive and weight is about 2600 lbs. Are the R4 tires similar to the tires on the new kubotas? Can you get the R4 tires at the dealer only or can most tire stores get em

Thanks
Chris

/ Turf tires to ag tires
Keeny

Are your chains good on hills? I am not doing much in the mud I just need traction for a hillside brush hogging and implement pulling

/ Turf tires to ag tires #9  
Most anything you would consider a "lawn" would not take kindly to Ag tires. R-4 or Industrial tires are a good compromize for your application.

Any tire shop that deals with farm/industrial tires can provide. Although the 4WD ratio is not an issue for your 2WD tractor, wheel size can be.

Ag (R-1) tires almost always use a fairly large diameter but narrow wheel, while turfs use a smaller diameter and wider wheel. R-4s can be in between. Bring your specific wheel size to the tire or tractor dealer and see what the options are. You may be able to get by without new wheels.

Rip

/ Turf tires to ag tires #10  
Based on discussions here, I got a set of ag tires for my Gravely. Didn't have any opportunity to use them on snow/ice with the metal screws into the threads, as our snow quit by the time I mounted them. The ag tires are only better on soft mud where they don't load up (on really soft mud where they load up, they aren't any better). Apart from this, the turf tires have far more traction because there's simply more rubber put onto the ground at a given second in time. Ag and R4 tires will have less than half the actual rubber contact surface in contact with pavement or ground.

Unless you need to take the tractor frequently into soggy areas, I'd go with turf tires. Or buy yourself a set of both, complete with wheels like I have for the Gravely.

Jurie's still out whether the ag tires with metal screws are gonna be better pushing snow. Let you know next winter.

Ralph