CUT vs Skid Steer

/ CUT vs Skid Steer
Seems to be turning into a "which is better" thread. Let's remember the ops uses, light FEL work.

Yeah, it is, but that's OK. This thread is less about me and more about what you guys are doing. That's what I really wanted to know. I think we're getting that just fine. It's a good conversation.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #43  
Yeah, it is, but that's OK. This thread is less about me and more about what you guys are doing. That's what I really wanted to know. I think we're getting that just fine. It's a good conversation.

Sweet! Well in that case, my answer is completely different, definitely get the Skidsteer, WAY more capable.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #44  
whatever machine you get should be appropriate for the work you need to do with it. You description of your needs point to a tractor.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer
I agree, oldpilgrim, and a CUT is the direction I'm headed. But since the subject came up, I thought I'd toss it around here to see what others are doing.

Since my wife works in the heavy construction industry (as a project analyst, not a constructor), we have access to all manner of earth-moving equipment should we need it. For our own personal everyday use, though, a tractor just seems to make the most sense.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #46  
I don't know if you are into this or not, but it is easier socializing with the neighbors when you are putzing around on a CUT. Just road gear it over to his house in the neighborhood and have a little bro-time. Much nicer than running a tank over.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #47  
I don't know if you are into this or not, but it is easier socializing with the neighbors when you are putzing around on a CUT. Just road gear it over to his house in the neighborhood and have a little bro-time. Much nicer than running a tank over.

True Dat. I've had many good conversations either from my tractor seat, or with someone on a tractor. Occasionally even both. Never have really chatted with anyone in a skid steer.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #48  

Oh, you know pretty much every person here would drop their bromance with the tractor guy next door for the tank guy down the street in a heartbeat! :laughing:

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #49  
The loader on a tractor is a bass awkwards impliment. In a real machine, you have the heavy engine in back for ballast & the weak complex expensive steering axle away from the heavy lifting. Exactly the opposite of how a tractor is setup. Which kills lift capacity as you don't have the ballast & the steering axle is the weak link. It's only up there for the flexibility & visibility. Would make a lot more sense to mount em with the bucket over the 3pt (there are a few bidirectional tractors out there like this). But a tractor is primarily a pulling machine, not a digging machine. So the loader is an afterthought.

On a SS, the loader is the only use able impliment, so the whole machine is properly designed to maximize it's abilities & effectiveness.

Personally I own a tractor with an afterthought loader & am looking at replacing it with another cabbed tractor with afterthought loader. I like the flexibility of the machine, the roading & ride comfort. I don't do enough digging to justify a SS.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #50  
The loader on a tractor is a bass awkwards impliment. In a real machine, you have the heavy engine in back for ballast & the weak complex expensive steering axle away from the heavy lifting. Exactly the opposite of how a tractor is setup. Which kills lift capacity as you don't have the ballast & the steering axle is the weak link. It's only up there for the flexibility & visibility. Would make a lot more sense to mount em with the bucket over the 3pt (there are a few bidirectional tractors out there like this). But a tractor is primarily a pulling machine, not a digging machine. So the loader is an afterthought.
----------------------------
I guess that means my put together is a real machine :D

The front axle does not pivot, the rear steering axle does.

P7240006.JPG

P7240003 16 20.JPG

P9050010.JPG