CUT vs Skid Steer

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #1  

PJSprog

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
Does anyone here use a skid steer in lieu of a compact tractor?

We're looking at new tractors for light loader work and brush hogging. Someone my wife works with (construction company) today suggested we look at skid loaders. I was immediately put off by it, but started to wonder if there's any merit to the idea.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #2  
I considered a skid steer but chose a CUT. Here is why.

Just for putzing around the homesite and small acreage and doing a little digging and carrying things a CUT works great. It has a 3pt hitch for many attachments like blades, discs etc.

I did rent a skid steer for a couple day of hauling dirt, but after that my mind was made up. They are hard to get into and hard to get out of.

A skid steer is good for digging and hauling dirt and gravel, but if used on a lawn it will rut it all up with one or two passes. A used SS will be maybe cheaper that a CC but for a homeowner a CC would be the way to go.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #3  
Only way I'd have a skid loader is in addition to a CUT not in lieu of. We've had access to and used two very nice ones and just didn't find them near as useful as a tractor. We rent one every few years as the ones we had spent 95% of the time taking up space.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #5  
Your on a tractor forum, so there will be some bias I went with skid steer instead of CUT, hands down smart move. There is things I was able to build do with the skid steer i would never have been able to do with a tractor. The loader on a skid steer will out pace a CUT big time. Also at the time when I purchased my skid steer CUT seemed over priced. I plow snow use it for everything. As for the lawn, put over the tire tracks on and be-careful on how you turn and you will do less damage than a CUT. As for getting in and out of don't see the big difference. Keep in mind, this is a tractor forum and there will be few if any that will agree.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #6  
two different machines for different purposes. For moving dirt an agricultural tractor is really pretty sad. Compromises have to made for most of us.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #7  
Having both...and other than the fact they both have loaders it's comparing apples to oranges...no real comparison...sure either can accomplish some tasks but they are two different animals entirely...IMO...

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #8  
Your on a tractor forum, so there will be some bias I went with skid steer instead of CUT, hands down smart move. There is things I was able to build do with the skid steer i would never have been able to do with a tractor. The loader on a skid steer will out pace a CUT big time. Also at the time when I purchased my skid steer CUT seemed over priced. I plow snow use it for everything. As for the lawn, put over the tire tracks on and be-careful on how you turn and you will do less damage than a CUT. As for getting in and out of don't see the big difference. Keep in mind, this is a tractor forum and there will be few if any that will agree.

Valid points, best to go rent one of each to really know for sure. We own several hundred acres of combination hills and flat land and were going to buy one until we used one for several months.

I'm sure they are great for some, just not us.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #9  
Does anyone here use a skid steer in lieu of a compact tractor?

We're looking at new tractors for light loader work and brush hogging. Someone my wife works with (construction company) today suggested we look at skid loaders. I was immediately put off by it, but started to wonder if there's any merit to the idea.

I had both- and sold the skid steer, Bouncy, no 3 point or PTO and the only place it had any advantage was in tight quarters- like cleaning barn stalls and construction site cleanup. but this is jmo
YMMV -and to each their own

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #10  
I have both. A Cat 246 with tracks and a L3700 SU TLB. I actually using both of them now on a barn project. The Cat is a far ..far more capable machine. It's faster, stronger and easier to maneuver. Downside is that it is brutal on a finished lawn. And for small chores like mulch or digging a ditch or stump, it's overkill. .. I like having both but if I had to pick one over the other, I would keep the Cat.