Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have cleaned water separators or fuel filters on Kubotas several times. You close the petcock, drain the fuel and put things back together. Pump the bulb thing on top of the fuel filter, open the air wheel, start tractor and that's the end of it. But not this time.

When I put things back together, no fuel flowed into the fuel separator bowl. Not sure if it ever did before but none did this time. The tractor started for a while but no fuel flowed into the bowl. Pumping the bulb didn't seem to do anything, now it won't start and I don't understand.

With Kubotas, you don't have to open the injector lines to bleed. There is a wheel you turn that opens them by letting air in until it starts running again. Pumping the bulb is supposed to get the fuel flowing but does nothing and the owner's manual and shop manual makes no mention of what do if it won't start.

Anyone have any experience with bleeding a Kubota fuel system?

Here's a couple pictures. Oh, this is a tractor that's new to me and I'm changing everything fluid related. It only has 430 hours on it. Fuel tank is full.

IMG_5239.JPG

This pic shoes the separator bowl and the pump thing on top of the fuel filter.

IMG_5240.JPG

This pic shows the wheel you open in bleeding the fuel system

Last edited:
   / Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #2  
A few things that come to mind

How much fuel in tank
Possible blockage from tank to line

That's my limited knowledge.

Ronnie

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #3  
You didn't mention opening the shut-off valve on the water separator ???? Sometimes the to simple things get me.

gg

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #4  
Mine is a little different than yours. I don't have an "air bleed" prior to the injectors. I close the valve at the water separator, take the separator apart & clean it, put it back together, OPEN the fuel valve at the separator, pump it and it goes. I can visually see the fuel refilling the separator bowl and feel a pulsation in the fuel line which indicates air is out of the line.

I would go with what Gordon says or perhaps you didn't get a good seal when reassembling the water separator. An inadequate sealing of the separator might prevent the pump from pumping fuel.

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start
Fuel tank is full, lines are OK and I opened the water separator lever. In back checking things this morning, I noticed a tear in the small O ring on the water separator lever. It doesn't seem possible but if that were true there would not be a need for an O ring. So I ordered an O ring and it will be in on Monday. When I pump it, no fuel goes into the bowl so it has to be an air in the line issue? It would seem if I pump it that fuel would go into the bowl regardless of that seal?

It doesn't seem possible that the small O ring on the lever would have an impact?

Good comments so far. Thank you.

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #6  
Did you fill your new fuel filter with fuel before you screwed it on ?? Then there would be less air between the pump and some fuel.

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #7  
Lord know what will stop these new technological marvels. Last year I had a $0.35 plastic check valve on the fuel return line completely stop my tractor. Two trips to the dealer & a lot of head scratching solved this situation.

Did you fill your new fuel filter with fuel before you screwed it on ?? Then there would be less air between the pump and some fuel.

I did not but will do when my O ring comes in on Monday and I try again. Good idea.

Lord know what will stop these new technological marvels. Last year I had a $0.35 plastic check valve on the fuel return line completely stop my tractor. Two trips to the dealer & a lot of head scratching solved this situation.

I spoke with the parts guy today and he said that the O ring on the shut off lever could be the problem. The part will be in Monday so I will try then and see what happens. I've bled lots of systems so it's no big deal but this mystifies me.

/ Changed Kubota M6800 water separator, now won't start #9  
It is well worth the try to fill the filter if you want/need the tractor before Monday. It is common procedure when replacing a filter to fill it with fuel. It eliminates lots of air in the system.

gg

It is well worth the try to fill the filter if you want/need the tractor before Monday. It is common procedure when replacing a filter to fill it with fuel. It eliminates lots of air in the system.

gg[/QUOTEi]

Well, I have a canister filter and a smaller water separator with a brass strainer in it. It's seen in my original photo. It is the strainer that is not filling and when the O ring comes in on Monday I will fill that bowl. I'm thinking it has to be that O ring.